How can I change the order of popups on an ArcGIS Online Map

Jump to solution
10-03-2014 01:15 PM
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I have 3 layers (2 point and 1 line) that coincide, let's call them A, B, and C.  I have tried several things to get the popup order to be A (1 of 3), B,(2 of 3), C (3 of 3): ordering the layers in Content with A on top, then B, then C; renaming them so that they are in alphabetical order; creating copies of the layers in a specific order.  No matter what I try, the popups appear in the order B, A, C.  They don't seem to order in the order they appear in Content or the Legend, alphabetically, or in order of creation/modification.  Is there any way to force one layer's popup to display 1st, or specify the order in which the popups display?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

No, there is no way to control popup ordering. The order comes from how fast layers can return their popup information. The fastest wins. The popup populates with the first and the rest come in when they return their information We have discussed allowing user defined ordering, but then the popup would have to wait to display its contents until all layers have returned their values. This could make the popup slower.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

48 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

No, there is no way to control popup ordering. The order comes from how fast layers can return their popup information. The fastest wins. The popup populates with the first and the rest come in when they return their information We have discussed allowing user defined ordering, but then the popup would have to wait to display its contents until all layers have returned their values. This could make the popup slower.

Thanks,

Mike

Keith_McKinnon
New Contributor III

Perhaps you could give us that option, and explain how the choices might affect website performance.  Making the decision for us seems, well, a little not customer friendly.

C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

It may make things slower, but having the same order as layers in the TOC would be a lot easier for the average public user. I have had the request several times from my customers to order the popups and each time I tell them its not technically possible....my response is getting old when I can offer no explanation other than 'Esri does not allow that'

BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I continue to be frustrated with this.  It's confusing for advanced users as well.  Knowing there are multiple identify pop-ups and how to navigate through them is not intuitive.  I think "speed" in this sense is very relative.  Quickly displaying non-useful data is not really a better option than waiting milliseconds for useful data.  I have yet to perceive a lag in the pop-up display.  I think the delay that ESRI is concerned about is more theoretical than based in reality.

LeoLadefian5
Occasional Contributor II

I would rather have a slower popup and be able to define the order.

JonBrandt
New Contributor II

Pop-ups are very helpful to non GIS professionals.  Please.....please modify this so we can determine the order, and customize it to our end users.  I recently created a city council district map and added a "Data-Enrichment" layer that showed detailed demographics.  I would prefer that my simple popup for the council ward shows first with very basic info and a link to our website.  Unfortunately the "Data-Enriched" layer pops up first, half the time.  For intermittent GIS users (many times city council) this can be frustrating. I have it shared my map to the public for basic interaction but then I'd like the council members to see the demographics of the area they represent.  Here's the link to my map to get a better idea: https://grantspassoregon.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=a09bdffabc2140449ddbc7fb535d... 

basic popupdata enriched popup

Thanks,

Jon

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

As many people have already stated, it would be extremely helpful to at least have the option to order the pop ups, even if this might result in slower performance. I have already voted on the idea posted here: https://community.esri.com/ideas/6548  but I'm hoping that so many people stressing this point will get Esri's attention.

Thank you!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Since we seem to be getting nowhere with this, is there a way to slow down the response(s) from the other layers so we can determine which returns the information first?

AndyHodren1
New Contributor II

Hi @MikeMinami ,

I see this comment is from 2014.  Is this 'fastest wins' approach still the case, or is there now a way to configure the order that the pop ups are presented in?