How can I change the order of popups on an ArcGIS Online Map

Jump to solution
10-03-2014 01:15 PM
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor

I have 3 layers (2 point and 1 line) that coincide, let's call them A, B, and C.  I have tried several things to get the popup order to be A (1 of 3), B,(2 of 3), C (3 of 3): ordering the layers in Content with A on top, then B, then C; renaming them so that they are in alphabetical order; creating copies of the layers in a specific order.  No matter what I try, the popups appear in the order B, A, C.  They don't seem to order in the order they appear in Content or the Legend, alphabetically, or in order of creation/modification.  Is there any way to force one layer's popup to display 1st, or specify the order in which the popups display?

Tags (2)
48 Replies
JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

I've had a bit of success getting the popups reordered in the PopupManager's _onSelectionChange function but it seems like the more logical place to make the update would be where the queries to the layers are made.  I assume ESRI's logic loops through all the map layers to make the queries asynchronously.  Any idea what script/function handles that logic (the query to return features for the popup)?

This issue is probably the biggest complaint we get from our end users.  Our internal GIS people love the way the popups return everything but I think it overwhelms our main user base.  It seems like the majority of web mapping api's only return a popup for the feature on top.  Perhaps ESRI can provide an option to only select from the feature that is drawn on top at the point where the user clicks?

MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

7 years now since this topic was raised and still no solution (unless you're a developer).... come on ESRI!

MattAnderson4
New Contributor

I agree that this is a problem.  It is not faster to have to click through a bunch of results that you don't care about to get to the ones you do.

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Would be great these days to have this functionality to enable control over the order of features returned on a map tap in Field Maps, so that the primary feature of interest shows up first. 

Edit: if you're reading this in 2021, be sure to upvote the Idea here.

JulioGarrido
New Contributor III

OK...  here we are about 8 years since the question was posed to this forum.  Still, we are waiting on, what I think, to be a simple fix to this issue.  Either add a selectable global pop-up order based on the layer list or integrate a manually entered order number into the pop-up configuration.   ESRI states the pop-up order is based on a first-come-first-serve methodology to improve the speed of the online map.  I believe we as GIS Directors, Coordinators, Techs, and Analysts can make an online map that can function quickly and provide the necessary information to our users at the same time.  We can disable unnecessary pop-ups if they are hindering the speed of the online map.  ESRI should not make that decision for us.  We need this functionality. 

JamesMadden1
Occasional Contributor

This is possible using the developer edition.  Follow the steps below.

FYI - I got the below snippets off a similar thread a few years back but I can't seem to find the link.  The code below will work for WAB but you probably should consider moving to Experience Builder/4.X.  I'm not sure how much additional support the 3.X builder will be getting before it is retired.

(1) Open the popupmanager.js file

(2) Add "this.reorderPopupFeatures();" at the end of the init method

(3) Add the two methods listed below to the popupmanager.js file. 

reorderPopupFeatures: function() {
var that = this;
this.layerStructrue = LayerStructure.getInstance();

aspect.around(this.popupUnion.bigScreen, "setFeatures", function(originalSetFeatures) {
return function(featuresArg, options) {
var convertedFeatureDefs = [];

array.forEach(featuresArg, function(featureOrDef) {
if(featureOrDef.declaredClass === "esri.Graphic") {

var def = new Deferred();
def.resolve([featureOrDef]);
convertedFeatureDefs.push(def);
} else {

convertedFeatureDefs.push(featureOrDef);
}
});

this.clearFeatures();
all(convertedFeatureDefs).then(lang.hitch(this, function(results) {
var features = [];
array.forEach(results, function(result) {
array.forEach(result, function(feature) {
if(feature) {

var featureAlreadyExist = array.some(features, function(f) {
if(feature === f) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
});

if(!featureAlreadyExist) {
features.push(feature);
}
}
});
}, this);

var orderedFeatures = that.sortFeatures(features);

originalSetFeatures.apply(this, [orderedFeatures, options]);
}));

};
});

aspect.around(this.popupUnion.bigScreen, 'show', function(originalShow) {
return function(location/*, options*/) {
originalShow.apply(this, [location, false]);
};
});

aspect.around(this.popupUnion.mobile, 'show', function(originalShow) {
return function(location/*, options*/) {
originalShow.apply(this, [location, false]);
};
});
},

sortFeatures: function(features) {
if(!this.layerOrderPriority) {

this.layerOrderPriority = {};
var priority = 1;
this.layerStructrue.traversal(lang.hitch(this, function(layerNode) {
this.layerOrderPriority[layerNode.id] = priority++;
}));
}

if(!this.layerStructureChangeHandler) {
this.layerStructureChangeHandler = this.layerStructrue.on('structure-change', lang.hitch(this, function() {
this.layerOrderPriority = null;
}));
}

array.forEach(features, function(feature) {
if(feature && feature.getLayer) {
feature._priority = this.layerOrderPriority[feature.getLayer().id];
} else {
feature._priority = 100000;
}
}, this);

features.sort(function(featureA, featureB) {
if(featureA._priority > featureB._priority)
{ return 1;}
else
{ return -1;}
return 0;
});

return features;
},

JessePapez__-_RR
New Contributor II

I just stumbled across this post, has this been added as an ArcGIS Idea yet?  Someone should add it there, perhaps that would get more traction on a solution.  If it has been posted, please share the link so we can upvote if, if not, any volunteers 😉 ?

BenCunningham
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
LeahSattler
New Contributor II

I have created a Dashboard for our Public Safety Teams for Emergency Operations, such as the current Winter Storm Severe Weather Event we are experiencing. Our Field Ops crews perform various tasks at specific locations, such as Plow Snow, Sand Road, Close and Reopen Road. It would be a very helpful for those teams to review the activities performed based on the entry date in chronological order. With a more severe event, there can be 20-30 activities at the same point. Without the functionality to order the pop-ups, it is very difficult to follow the order of work performed at each location and kinda makes the whole thing much less useful. 

ESRI, please consider adding this functionality. There is clearly a big need across multiple different types of organizations for many important functions!

Super Thanks.

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

No, I have not.  And, this has been an issue since the flexviewer days.

It appears as if this one will never get addressed, so the solution is to just accept it.

R_