How can I add a user to a share group when they are outside my organization?

Jump to solution
11-14-2017 12:51 PM
KarenAdams
New Contributor II

I have set up a share group and want to send an invite to a consultant who has an account for ArcGIS online. How do I do this without adding them to my organization?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Karen,

The error message means that someone you're trying to invite to access your shared group has a public ArcGIS Online account. This is not supported. You can only invite ArcGIS Online accounts that are part of an ArcGIS Online organization.

FYI: What is the difference between an ArcGIS account and an Esri Account?

Public ArcGIS Online accounts are available at no cost, but have limited functionality.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Karen,

Go to your group and click in Invite Users

Type in the username exactly and they should show up. It doesn't have to be within the org (I can invite you to my group even though you are not in my organization, I just tested it, haha).

XanderBakker

Some reading about collaboration: How collaboration works—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

KarenAdams
New Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback.  I have tried that option, which leads me to believe that the person I am looking for either doesn't really have an account set up, or doesn't know their user name.  I'll start down that path next.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Karen,

FYI, this 3 min video shows you how to invite someone outside your ArcGIS organization to your shared group:

Survey123 for ArcGIS: Sharing Your Survey with a Member of a Different Organization - YouTube 

Hope this helps,

EdApalinski
Occasional Contributor

Hi Karen,

The user you are trying to invite also has to make their profile view able by Everyone.  They can change this option by editing their profile (Who can see your profile? Everyone (public)).

Cheers!

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ah, that makes sense and must be why Karen cannot see the user's name in the list. Nice catch!

0 Kudos
KarenAdams
New Contributor II

Thanks all, this has been helpful. Now I can see her account name, but when I try to send an invite I get the following error message:

No invitations were sent because the invitation list included a public account. Only organization accounts can join groups associated with an organization. Please remove any public accounts from the invitation list and try again.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Karen,

The error message means that someone you're trying to invite to access your shared group has a public ArcGIS Online account. This is not supported. You can only invite ArcGIS Online accounts that are part of an ArcGIS Online organization.

FYI: What is the difference between an ArcGIS account and an Esri Account?

Public ArcGIS Online accounts are available at no cost, but have limited functionality.

Hope this helps,