How can a layer with no features have too many to draw?

12-06-2017 06:12 AM
KessaTurnbull
New Contributor II

I'm creating some new layers from scratch. ArcMap at work runs painfully slowly, so I created blank shapefiles in ArcCatalog and uploaded them to AGOL so I could use the feature templates to create them there. Not because I cared about the template but because as far as I can tell there is no way to simply create a layer from scratch in AGOL. But that's another issue. 

So, the key thing to remember here is there are NO features and the only field is ID. Yet, when I add them to a map to edit, I get the aggravating "was not drawn completely because it has too many features to draw. Try zooming in to a smaller area." error. Some of them I was able to create anyway and just accept not being able to see them in the editable map and have to go back and forth to the non-editable version to verify if they were drawing well (although I could at least see their outlines by selecting them from the attribute table). 

I don't like any of that. But I can live with it. What I can't live with are the last two features which won't let me even begin to draw them because every time I double click it just vanishes! 

So, how can a hosted feature made from a shapefile with no features and no vertices be too big to draw?!

17 Replies
GeneH_Chesco
New Contributor III

We're having the same issue with a map we created in AGOL to use later with Collector. We have some layers with and without data that all give the same error message "was not drawn completely because it has too many features to draw. Try zooming in to a smaller area." None of the workarounds mentioned or linked here have worked to have the points display on the map. They display in the table just fine.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Gene,

When you monitor the request from map viewer to the service what is the error message that you are receiving?/

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RobertGilbert
New Contributor

Kelly, 

I have a similar issue to Kessa and Raul, a web map containing a hosted point feature layer that has just a single point feature. When I enable editing on the point layer, the web map displays error message "The layer did not draw completely. There may be too many features to display. Try zooming in to a smaller area.". Disable editing and the error goes away

I was reading this thread and was interested in your two solutions.

"1. Republish your layer, which will rebuild the spatial index.

2. Rebuild the spatial index via the REST API as indicated in this documentation:"

I tried rebuilding the spatial index (solution 2). After executing the UpdateDefinition command I received the following JSON response: 

{

"success" : true

}

Refreshing the web map generated the same error as before. I then tried removing the point feature layer from the web map, repeating solution 2 and then adding the layer back to the map. Same error message. 

I was curious if others tried your suggestions and had better luck or if there were any other suggestions. I've been seeing this error quite a bit lately with other projects and was hoping for some kind of workaround

Thanks for any help

- Bob

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Bob.

I'd suggest getting in touch with technical support as you seem to be receiving an unhelpful error message. There is a chance that this is a bug that will be addressed in the upcoming release. That being said, I'd suggest you either test this in the early adopters community, or get support to verify the issue so that this can get addressed as soon as possible.

-Kelly

RobertGilbert
New Contributor

Thank you Kelly.

I signed up for the early adopters community. As soon as I receive my user id and pw I'll replicate the maps and layers that generated the error and try them in the test environment. 

I appreciate your response

Bob

0 Kudos
GustAnnis
New Contributor II

I am having this issue as well.  I first noticed it about a week ago.  If a feature layer has editing enabled it does not draw, but the attribute table shows the records and allows me to select a feature from the table and the selection will show the location on the map.  It seems completely tied to whether editing is enabled or not.  Not all layers have this problem, but many do. 

--Gust

0 Kudos
ITAdcom
New Contributor

Hi Kessa, 

I had the same problem, I added a blank feature class for use in editing in a web application, and was getting the same error. I went into ArcMap, into the Catalog tab, right-clicked the blank layer and selected "Properties". In the "Feature Extent" tab, I used the "Import" function and selected a layer that I know more or less has the same extent that my blank editable feature will have. Then click "Apply". I then re-zipped this File Geodatabase and added it to the "My Content" page on AGOL. And now the edits are visible and the error went away.

I think due to a blank XY extent in an empty file, AGOL thinks it's too big to be able to be displayed. I hope this helps!

RossBrewer
New Contributor III

Although my dysfunctional feature class already had an extent that was in the ballpark of the features that I intended to add, I did as you mentioned (imported an extent from our city limits feature class), and the error went away.  Thanks for posting!!!  This has been plaguing me for months...