Hosting Advice

01-19-2016 08:07 AM
ScottHoffman1
New Contributor II

Afternoon Community –

Looking for advice on map hosting options for municipal clients. In short, we have been tasked to map their water and waste water infrastructure. These municipalities do not employ nor have any GIS experience. At the end of the day, we would like to provided them with a secure online setup to view their infrastructure.

Are there any cost effective solutions to provide an online setup for them? (we do not have ArcServer, but do have ArcGIS Online)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JasonHarris2
New Contributor III

Scott-

My name is Jason, and I am the CTO of ROK Technologies, a Esri business partner since 1997.  We are a ASP level provider of ArcGIS Server - meaning we can provide you with ArcGIS Server Map Services without requiring you to maintain a license - we take of that (as well as bandwidth, infrastructure, expertise and 24 hour support).  We do not require that you utilize any special framework - meaning we can just host map services that you can consume in your applications.  Of course, we can assist with other aspect of a deployment as well.  We often partner with engineering firms, other Esri business partners, any really any organization that requires the highest up-time/availability/performance.  If you'd like, feel free to get in touch jharris@roktech.net / www.roktech.net and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

0 Kudos
JeremyMcCollum2
New Contributor II

Along this same thread, our company is going to have ArcServer hosted from a third party enterprise system for our use.  With that said, we will want to show maps internally for employees who won't be on that enterprise system, but want to see maps that I produce.  Is it better to get an ArcGIS online account and let employees see it that way or use another way.  I guess I thought Portal would be good, but not sure if that is part of the Server license agreement or a separate added license?

0 Kudos
MalcolmMeyer
New Contributor III

Do your clients absolutely need editing online editing capabilities? Are your files that you are pushing out extremely large? If not I would completely avoid setting up a GIS server at all and get your feet wet with an open source mapping library such as leaflet. We have successfully created a county-wide parcel viewer using Leaflet hosted alongside our normal website, no GIS server at all (20k parcels). We also host infrastructure viewers for small municipalities - where the shapefiles (geojson really) are at max 6mb in size. Some of the pages are secured using normal apache htaccess (using cpanel, no coding needed). If you do not need password protection  - which may violate public records laws depending on your state - you could host a site like this for free on github, surge.sh, openshift, etc. I think surge.sh allows for passwords on their paid platform.

If you do have large files you can do some simplification via ArcMap or mapshaper to see if that helps.

Examples

https://www.ovrdc.org/apps/wellston/

https://www.ovrdc.org/apps/geojson-tiles.html