Hosted feature layer view - editor tracking, collected information

Jump to solution
03-29-2021 09:24 AM
Andy_CS
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am configuring some hosted feature layer views for use on a public web mapping application. The intention is to enable public editing on the views and to track edits. We expect most end users to be anonymous (not signed in with an AGOL account).

I'd like to make it so that users can only view and edit features that they have created and I'm happy with how to set up the view's configuration for that purpose. However, there is some concern about what data is collected to identify anonymous users.

How does edit tracking identify anonymous users and what identifying data about those users is being recorded/stored?

My editing configuration is as follows:

editsettings.PNG:

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I don't believe this constraint will work as you intend it to. To my understanding, all data added to your feature class would be added by an anonymous user (assuming no one signs into AGOL), thus allowing anyone to add and update any data they choose. Unique information is not collected by anonymous users so there would be no way to track which anonymous user submitted which information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I don't believe this constraint will work as you intend it to. To my understanding, all data added to your feature class would be added by an anonymous user (assuming no one signs into AGOL), thus allowing anyone to add and update any data they choose. Unique information is not collected by anonymous users so there would be no way to track which anonymous user submitted which information.

Andy_CS
New Contributor III

You're quite right.

All users will see all features captured by anonymous users - I should have tested this first!

Thanks.

0 Kudos