Highlighting multiple features from different layers when single feature is selected in Web Map/Web App

Jump to solution
03-28-2019 08:56 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way in ArcGIS Online to highlight multiple features from different layers when a single feature is selected? For example, I have several points within different HUCS. When the point is selected, I would like the HUC that it is in to be highlighted as well.

I'm sure this is possible using Javascript, but I have almost no experience with that so I was hoping there is a way to configure this in the GUI.   If this isn't possible and custom code is needed, any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

The first thing that you will need to do here is establish a relationship between your features based on a common attribute. You can learn more about that at the following link: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/joins-and-relates.htm

Within ArcGIS Pro, it is possible to automatically select (highlight) related features: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/automatically-select-related-records.htm

Unfortunately, this same property is not available in ArcGIS Online. 

In order to achieve the same (or similar) in ArcGIS Online, you will need to do the following:

• Publish your web map
  • Create a Web App that includes the Select Widget:
  • In the widget configuration window, choose the selection method (Select by Point, Select by Rectangle, etc) and choose the layers that you would like to be available to select
  • In your Web App, click the Select Widget, click the Select button, and select one of your points. 
  • If your point is within a HUC, and the HUC layer is available to be selected too, then both will be selected (highlighted). 
  • You can also click the small 3 dots (show actions on selected features) next to the selected feature in the widget, and click Show Related Records
    • This will bring up the attribute table of the related HUC

You can learn more about showing related records in web maps and web apps here: 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

The first thing that you will need to do here is establish a relationship between your features based on a common attribute. You can learn more about that at the following link: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/joins-and-relates.htm

Within ArcGIS Pro, it is possible to automatically select (highlight) related features: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/automatically-select-related-records.htm

Unfortunately, this same property is not available in ArcGIS Online. 

In order to achieve the same (or similar) in ArcGIS Online, you will need to do the following:

• Publish your web map
  • Create a Web App that includes the Select Widget:
  • In the widget configuration window, choose the selection method (Select by Point, Select by Rectangle, etc) and choose the layers that you would like to be available to select
  • In your Web App, click the Select Widget, click the Select button, and select one of your points. 
  • If your point is within a HUC, and the HUC layer is available to be selected too, then both will be selected (highlighted). 
  • You can also click the small 3 dots (show actions on selected features) next to the selected feature in the widget, and click Show Related Records
    • This will bring up the attribute table of the related HUC

You can learn more about showing related records in web maps and web apps here: 

I hope this helps!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for your response, Cody! I'll give this a shot.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
luisgalimberti
New Contributor II

I was wondering if that solution worked for you.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

My project manager actually decided to go in a different direction with this project so I never got a chance to work on it.    Sorry!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
jgoldman
New Contributor III

Hi Katherine,

Were you able to figure this out? Were you able to get the related feature to highlight in map when another is selected? If so, would you mind if I pick your brain?

0 Kudos