hide fields in table - ArcGIS Online

06-23-2022 02:47 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to permanently hide fields in a hosted feature layer table without creating a hosted feature layer view?

I'd rather not have two layers of the same information showing different fields.

This is in New Map Viewer not Map Viewer Classic.

Thanks to all.

15 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In this Esri Community post, there's a response by KhaledHassen that says you can turn off field visibility using the layer updateDefinition API with an example.  I'm not a developer but it seems this may work.

In addition, this link and Example twelve may be the way to do it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

it seems there's no simple way as there was with Map Viewer Classic

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

it's odd that there seems to be no way in New Map Viewer to permanently hide fields that remains after the map is closed then reopened.

i'm not sure how to use the API Python solution so find myself simply disappointed with ESRI on this one.

JeremyBartley1
New Contributor II

In classic Map Viewer the table honored the popup field visibility which led to confusion (why does popup field list visibility control table field visibility and vice versa).  We disentangled this relationship in the new Map Viewer.  In a future release we will support a table field visibility in webmaps.  

You can control field visibility through views like you mention.    

0 Kudos
ZackK
by
New Contributor III

Is the field visibility supported now?  I can't seem to find it.  If not, is there a possible timeline when this feature might be implemented and supported?  I'd hate to setup views, then not need them in a month:) 

It may have "disentangled" that relationship, but that action leads to a bit of confusion for admins and users.  If we set up a field to not be visible in a pop-up, odds are that the general intent was not to have it visible in the table either.  Why enable basic bypass of limited data we want viewers to see, by allowing to view the full table?  Could it be possible that whichever developer(s) setup that "entanglement" may have had that in mind in the first place, giving us a straightforward solution without needing layer views?  Creating layer views for something that was solvable with a checkbox, just adds to the number of assets that staff has to track and make sense of in AGOL.

0 Kudos
JeremyBartley1
New Contributor II

Same team worked on it then as in now.  🙂

The implicit behavior of applying the popup field visibility to the table leads it to only be implemented in apps that understand that behavior.  This becomes even more difficult for our external developers to understand what the "correct" behavior should be.  

We will eventually give you the ability to control it at the layer level and by default that will apply to the popup and the table.  Plus we will give you the ability to set the visibility of fields for just the popup or just the table.  This would allow you to have a different visibility for your popup versus the table.  

Unfortunately this won't happen for the next release in Nov but is something we would like to get to in the first half of 2023.  

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the confusion!

0 Kudos
ZackK
by
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for such a quick reply.  🙂👍

No need to apologize, I appreciate possible timeline and explanation.  Have  a great day!

LayerItOn
New Contributor III

Hello, is there an update on this? I try to hide fields in layers in the new map viewer table, in the visualization tab of a feature layer, and tried editing the pop-ups, but they do not stick even after saving. Thank you in advance! 

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So in the Tables, I clicked the Options button (i.e. gear) and in the Field Visiblity UI, turned off an attribute field.  Now it does not appear in the table.  Secondly, I went to the Pop-Ups UI (right side of the Map Viewer) and clicked the "x" to the right of the same attribute field and it does not appear in my pop-up anymore.  It seems to be sticking for me when I use the popup anywhere in the Map Viewer.  The hidden field does show up for symbolization tho'...

0 Kudos