Help! Since the April AGOL update, our homepage lists all organization content instead of the gallery group content when viewed on a mobile device.

Jump to solution
04-20-2018 01:36 PM
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

The April 2018 update to AGOL has broken sooooo much of our content. The latest snafu? When our AGOL home page is  viewed in a phone, instead of listing the gallery content it lists EVERYTHING. It lists service definitions, logos, feature layers, basemaps, vector tiles...EVERYTHING. It is only supposed to display the content that is specifically assigned to the group whose content is to be displayed. Viewed on a PC or tablet, it is normal. We're discovering this right on the heels of having to rebuild half of our web apps from the ground up because the update broke the search widget in the web-app-builder apps and it wouldn't zoom anymore. Aslo permissions were somehow blown and our public facing apps started prompting for a login The only fix that worked was going from scratch -New web map and app.  Absolutely livid with ESRI right now. Test this garbage. We're customers, not guinea pigs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Rachel,

The next update for ArcGIS Online is scheduled for late June.  
From the testing I've seen, the mobile Homepage is displaying all shared content within an organization (whereas by design it should only be displaying the content within the specified gallery group...this is what should be fixed in the next update).  If you're seeing that all content is displayed (shared and unshared content) please log a Support case as this would be a new issue which should be investigated. 

Thanks,

Alan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Scott,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble!  The mobile browser issue is known.  There's a bug logged (BUG-000113169) which is scheduled to be resolved in the next update to ArcGIS Online.  I've not heard of others hitting the other two issues you've reported, however.  Would you be able to make a Support case (https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support)?  I'd like to attach you to the existing bug and have an analyst troubleshoot the other two issues.  If you have any trouble making a case message me (here or PM) and I'll get one set up for you.  

When you create the case, would you be able to supply the URL to any of the web apps that are no longer accessible?  Also what locator have you configured the Search Widget to use?  The default World Geocoding Service or another one?  If you have a publicly accessible app that's reproducing that issue please supply that as well.

Regards,
Alan

GISAdmin7
New Contributor II

Hi Alan,

When opened in a mobile device, our organization homepage also displays all of our Content. When viewed in a web browser, the Content page isn't (and shouldn't be) accessible to the public. When can we expect the next ArcGIS Online update with this fix? 

Thanks,

Rachel

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Rachel,

The next update for ArcGIS Online is scheduled for late June.  
From the testing I've seen, the mobile Homepage is displaying all shared content within an organization (whereas by design it should only be displaying the content within the specified gallery group...this is what should be fixed in the next update).  If you're seeing that all content is displayed (shared and unshared content) please log a Support case as this would be a new issue which should be investigated. 

Thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Our widgets were (and still are) configured to search features from site address points and parcel feature classes. Some used esri's world locator as a third option. Configured the same way, our old maps would return a result and highlight it but failed to zoom to the selection automatically or when the suggested value was clicked. When maps and apps were created anew from scratch using the same settings as the old maps, they worked again. Similarly, the permissions issues were fixed. The displayed content on the mobile version of the home page, it seems to me, is a symptom of a larger problem. The way that AGOL permissions are setup should be changed so that the underlying components of a web app don't have to be exposed in the same way that the application itself is. I shouldn't have to make the web map and services, logos, basemaps, tiles, service defs, etc. visible and searchable on their own for them to be able to be displayed in the apps. Even if all of our content was intended to be completely open (which it isn't) displaying all that content instead of selected content makes the site virtually unintelligible for it's target audience - the public. This isn't an bug ESRI should just sit on for months. It really needs to be fixed right away. You've made the GIS home page for many organizations pretty much worthless on mobile.

KB1
by
New Contributor II

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with the content in mobile and the zoom problem.  Now that I see the search issue posted I'll be checking ours.

End of June is far to late to correct this issue.  That is 2 months away, it needs to be addressed much sooner.

LindsayMcClintock
New Contributor II

Hello, 

Was this fix removed from the June update? Alan Rex

Thank you.

0 Kudos
GISAdmin7
New Contributor II

Our site now shows only the gallery items (instead of all publicly shared items) when opening the page in mobile view, and users still must open the menu from top left of page to view additional content (ours is configured to show more apps in the content pane).

0 Kudos
LindsayMcClintock
New Contributor II

Thank you for responding. I am seeing the correct gallery items in the mobile version now. However I have 3 extra items in the mobile version and that look like web maps but when I open them it say "Code Attachment," any ideas why these would be showing up in the mobile homepage? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
GISAdmin7
New Contributor II

That is a good question; I don't know what would cause it if all other gallery items are accounted for...I would bring that up with Esri. 

0 Kudos