Heat Map layer overlay issue with ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-08-2018 12:41 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Don't know if it happened to someone else, but I recently tried the heat map functionality in AGOL to style a point layer in a web map, but the result is always in background with respect to the other layers, although it is the uppermost in the TOC. Any idea why this is happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alessandro,

By design, feature layers are always displayed on top of heat maps. It is not possible to move a heat map above other features layers in the ArcGIS Online map viewer. An alternative is to create a tile package for the feature layers in ArcMap/Pro and publish the tile layer to ArcGIS Online. Once published, open the tile layer and the heat map in a map viewer and it will display on top of the tile layer. 

Using tile packages for publishing hosted tile layers 

FAQ: Is it possible to draw a heat map on top of other feature layers in ArcGIS Online? 

There is currently an enhancement for the documentation to be updated to reflect that this is by design. ENH-000090365: Update ArcGIS Online Help (for ‘Change Style’ subheading: Heat map) to reflect the known limitation when using heat map symbology.  This symbology will automatically appear under all other layers regardless of the layer order in the map contents.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, 

Luba

View solution in original post

10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alessandro,

By design, feature layers are always displayed on top of heat maps. It is not possible to move a heat map above other features layers in the ArcGIS Online map viewer. An alternative is to create a tile package for the feature layers in ArcMap/Pro and publish the tile layer to ArcGIS Online. Once published, open the tile layer and the heat map in a map viewer and it will display on top of the tile layer. 

FAQ: Is it possible to draw a heat map on top of other feature layers in ArcGIS Online? 

There is currently an enhancement for the documentation to be updated to reflect that this is by design. ENH-000090365: Update ArcGIS Online Help (for ‘Change Style’ subheading: Heat map) to reflect the known limitation when using heat map symbology.  This symbology will automatically appear under all other layers regardless of the layer order in the map contents.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best, 

Luba

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Luba:

Are there any script examples to update the hosted tile layers as this data could be constantly changing and you would want to automate this task?  The speed of rendering these layers and their proper placement in the TOC would make them more much advantageous than a feature layer, even though there is more maintenance involved.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Are you asking if there's a way to update the Tile Layer Service on ArcGIS as in over writing the service?

Here is an IDEAS page:

Overwrite existing Tile Layer Service on ArcGIS Online 

Kelly mentions in the comments about a proof of concept script for automating updating a tile package

http://cloudygis.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d829e15ca7d840f29b1a1d8d2e8b7ac7 

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Best, 

Luba

AlessandroValra

Thank you, it is clear now.

One question: do I need to import the web feature layer of the heat map published on AGOL in ArcMap, make it a tile packageand do the rest of what you said?

Because, as far as I know, it is not possible to produce a heat map layer in ArcMap, am I wrong?

Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Apparently, I cannot import the hosted heat map layer in ArcMap preserving the symbology. The point layer is symbolized as a unique value. So it seems I have to do it in ArcMap, but I don't know how.

Luba Hristova‌ is there a way to do it in ArcMap and then do what you suggest to have it published to AGOL and be able to have it drawn on top of the other layers?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alessandro,

Yes there is a way to do it and that would be by using any of the tools from the Spatial Analyst toolbox stated in this article:

FAQ: How can a heat map be created in ArcMap? 

However, I just did a quick test by:

1: Creating hot spots in ArcGIS Online

2:Connecting to my hosted services in ArcMap

3:Pulling my hot spot map in ArcMap 

The symbology preserved and stayed the same as it was in ArcGIS Online, are you not getting the same outcome? 

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Luba Hristova‌ I tried to import my hosted layer in ArcMap but unfortunately the symbology is not preserved. Here is a print screen of what I see from AGOL and from ArcMap (only the relevant layer is shown).

Here is a link to the public map where the heat map layer is present: https://arcg.is/iyuLG .

Any hint is highly appreciated! Ah, I don't have the Spatial Analyst extension available...

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Sorry, any suggestion on this? Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alessandro,

I apologize for the delayed response! I am just getting back to replying to this. 

What would have to be done is 

1: Create a tile package for the feature layers in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro

2: Publish the created tile layer to ArcGIS Online

3: Once published, open the tile layer and the heat map in a map viewer

So, this means that the layer should be published separately than the heat map. Then, once the polygons are published attempt to add the points with the heat map. Make the tile layer below the heat map points.

Per the articles here: