Groups aren't available to share content to

08-20-2019 06:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have created some groups and shared them with my organization, invited members, and added some content.

When I'm trying to share through the Items Details page some of the groups are not available as options to share with.

Has anyone else run across this, or is there a step that I'm missing?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

For the groups that you created, do they show up under "access", or "access and update capabilities" in the main menu?

I believe that the "share" button on the item details page only displays groups in the "access" category. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So these are the options I get...

Access -

Access and update capabilities - 

And this is only for My Content and I have to take ownership of items to Share from my Contents page.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok, I think I understand your situation now. You want to be able to share items owned by others with the groups that have Access and Update capabilities, without having to transfer ownership first. 

If you go to the specific member's items page via Organization > Manage Members > Manage Items, you should be able to share their items in this way.

Let me know if that works for you!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well yes, I'd like to be able to do that.... but I need the groups to be able to be shared with.

EMS, Esri - EBRGIS, and Gallery are all available as groups to share with but not BRPD, BRFD, or Analyst Workspace.

I'm wondering how to have these groups show in the list as well.

Other users will be sharing with the groups as well.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Brandon,

Apologies if I'm getting a bit confused about what you're trying to do. As far as I understand, because the BRPD, BRFD and Analyst Workspace groups are the types of groups with Access and Update capabilities, they will not show up when trying to share through the item details page. Any user wanting to share with those groups will need to do it through My Content, or as an Administrator by managing a specific member's items. They will also obviously need to be member's of that group, assuming that's how you have them configured. 

Is that workflow not working for you? Sorry I can't be more help...maybe someone else will have some additional insight. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Let me see if I have this right.

If I create a new group with "update capabiltiies" I won't be able to see it in the "Share" list and since no one can see it, no one can add content to the group.

Once a group has been created you cannot turn off this "update" flag because that is forbidden. I have to delete the group and create it again making sure I don't check the last option, which is not called "update capabilities" on that page; it's under "What items in the group can its members update? " and the option "All items (group membership is limited to the organization" which sounds exactly like what a group is for versus "Only their own items" which does not sound like group write permissions so it's only natural (and wrong) to select the "All" option.

It's not much of a hardship to delete and recreate the group because it won't have any content in it and is basically useless until you do so.

So, I can see how it would be hard to document this. Knowing now that the option is useless I will no longer try to use it. This is in that "no on this is a feature not a bug" category, right?

0 Kudos