Geocode large amount of data

08-02-2017 10:57 AM
RupsaBhowmick
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have to geocode 10 million address. Please let me know the way to which I can use arcgis to geocode this large amount of data.

Regards,

Rupsa Bhowmick

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Documentation and tutorials exist for ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap, there is also a world geocoding service (check the link), but a lot will depend on the format of your data, where you need to geocode etc.

RupsaBhowmick
New Contributor II

Thank you Dan for your kind reply. I took the ArcGIS Online subscription 21 days trial and connect my ArcMap desktop with this subscription account. But when I am trying to do geocoding, it still showing an error bar with asking for ArcGIS online subscription. Although I am already connected with my subscribed account. It will be really great to have any solution of this problem.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not sure, but the free subscription differs from the one that costs.  I doubt you can do a couple of million geocodes for free.  

If it is a different situation, you need to contact tech support as soon as possible.

PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

I believe geocoding 10,000,000 addresses would cost 400,000 ArcGIS Online service credits - this is most likely a number of credits you don't want to buy!

BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Rupsa,

There have a few options to geocode your data.  ArcGIS Online World Geocoding Service, World Geocoder for ArcGIS, StreetMap Premium, and building your own locator if your organization maintains it's own reference data.  You can take a look at the following site to see which one best works for you.

Geocoding and Place Search | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
JulieLeslie
New Contributor

Say you have access to your own address locator in house, ESRI enterprise and powerful computers.

How do you geocode 20 million records with out grinding everything to a halt? So frustrating. I get to about 2 million records and then it stops.

I hope your advice is not to chunk up the table into smaller pieces. Why can't I just let the geocoder work on my table over the weekend? Why is it clogging up?

Most of my data is over the 10 million record mark- which is why I don't want to get into the habit of chunking tables

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Julie,

I would need to know more information about your environment.

1. What is the size of the locator?  What type of locator is it (Created with Create Address Locator Tool or Create Locator tool)?  Is it a composite with many locators in it?

2. What client are you using to geocode?  Pro, ArcMap, etc...

2b. What version is the client?

3. Where does the locator exist?  Is it hosted on a Server (if so, what version), local on the machine, is it on an SSD or HDD?

4. What is the machine configuration?  Memory, #CPUs, #cores per CPU, disk types SSD or HDD.

5. Where are you reading the table from (FDGB, Enterprise GDB, other) and where are you writing the results to?

6. How is the locator configured?  Is it configured to use multiple threads?

I may have more questions after you answer but there are many variables that could cause a performance problem but typically the answer to your problem will not be that you have to split the table into smaller chunks.

Brad

0 Kudos