Select to view content in your preferred language

Find existing locations is ignoring filter

Jump to solution
06-16-2016 07:23 AM
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

I'm using the Find existing locations tool in my web map.  I first set a filter in my later to select only 1 County Park. I then run the tool building a query to select all parcels with 0.5 miles of the Park. However it is clearly ignoring my filter and checking all parks.  I tried another work around to build a complex query right in the tool (select that park AND select the relevant parcels) but that doesn't work either.  Is there no way to make that analysis run on only selected/filtered features? This would would be a no brainer in ArcMap of course.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Kendell,

Try the following steps. I did run into a few issues when I received errors from your service, so you may want to check your server logs to see what is happening with the service. I made the buffer just to ensure that the results were in the correct area.

1. Open web map

2. Set filter on the county parks location using the filter tool.

Park Name is Three Lakes Park

3. Hit apply filter

4. Select Analysis tools> Find Locations>Find Existing locations

5. Choose Tax parcels as the layer containing the features for the attribute and spatial queries

6. Open the Add Expression and set the where attribute to within a distance of

7. Set up your query to look like the screenshot below:

expression.png

8. Ensure that an appropriate result layer name is added

9. Select Run Analysis

Let me know if this works for you,

Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
XiaolongFeng1
New Contributor III

Hi Kendell,

Actually for this analysis tool (and similarly Derive New Locations tool), Credit Estimator(show credits tool) will only give you an assumption of the maximum credits this task may consume. What we do for this tool is counting every input layer's feature within the map extent(if you checked ae93446e-f4d9-11e5-9512-44f0ac8af6c4.png) or within the whole map to give you the assumption.

The reason why we do this is because user can set customized expressions to the query, and the query can get really complicated, that without actually running the analysis job(which will use our Spatial Analysis service and will consume credits), the credit estimator is not able to give you the exact number of features returned in the query.

In other words, if you want to see the exact credit the job will consume, we have to execute this job first. This may take really long time, which is a bad user experience. This will also lead to "shall we charge user credits for this" dilemma.

I think in our help doc, for these specific tools the part for credit consumption is not clear. Also in Credit Estimator, the UI maybe bit misleading. We can make those info more clear in the future.

Thanks,

Xiaolong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Kendell,

I can't reproduce the error that you are encountering currently. Would it be possible to share the web map and the data?

Are you setting the filter on the layer prior to running the analysis and then setting the complex query?

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

Sure, I can invite you to the group. I see a few users for you, which one should I invite?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

try kgerrow_cloudygis

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

invitation sent. there is only one map (and 2 layers) in the group.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Kendell,

It appears that one of your features is a multi-part feature, which is causing some additional polygons to appear in the analysis results. I shared a web map with the problematic feature filtered out with your group. As the multiple polygons refer to one set of attributes for this feature, they will be included in the analysis it part of the feature is included in your expression.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

That makes sense. But why would it include every single parcel? I get that it would include those additional parcels, but not all 144K parcels.   Can you get it to work otherwise? If you filter say Three Lakes Park and then select parcels within .5 miles how many do you get?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

I got 841 features for Three Lakes Park. If you are getting something different, then I think it may be a good time to get a case created with Esri Technical Support​. Let me know your results and/or if you want some help connecting with support.

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

Great, that is right. Can you just list out your workflow to make sure I'm doing the same. and then if i don't get the right thing I'll contact ESRI support?Thanx

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

I see your web map. did you do a two step process? you had to buffer the park and then do the selection?

0 Kudos