Select to view content in your preferred language

Fields set to Allow Null require values in AGOL Map Viewer

10-24-2022 01:37 PM
Labels (2)
Lydco
by
Occasional Contributor

I am working on building a geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro that will be used as a hosted feature layer by our team on AGOL and Field Maps. Most of the fields are set to "Allow Null" in ArcPro, with a few exceptions. When I upload the web layer and access it in Map Viewer, if I click Create without filling out the few required fields, every single field shows the red alert as though it is a required field. This includes both fields with domains and text box fields (see photos).

If I go to the Map Viewer Classic, all fields display correctly. 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Lydco
by
Occasional Contributor

Only works like that when required fields are filled out - if users don't know what fields are required, they're stuck with all the error messages/filling out everything...

0 Kudos
Lydco
by
Occasional Contributor

Interesting! That is not how it is working on my maps. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

I didn't have any required fields, so I added a couple and tested.  Still behaves the same EXCEPT, map viewer does NOT honor the required field setting in the form.  Will give me the stack of error messages (none of which are "Field Required" or anything like that), then creates the feature even with required fields empty.

Field maps app will honor it and not let you complete the feature until required field(s) are populated.

R_

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Are you sure?  I see with required fields, all I have to do is enter data into ONE field and it will accept it.  Doesn't even need to be one of the required ones.

Just tested again and made 15 of my 16 fields required in the form.  As long as I put a value in ANY one (or more) field, when I hit the create button, there is a short delay, then the point is added.

However, same map in Field Maps app requires me to enter all 15 before I can submit.

I've only tested with hosted feature class point data.....

R_

0 Kudos
Lydco
by
Occasional Contributor

Quite certain. I've tried multiple times with different feature classes and filling out different fields since your comment. As long as one required field remains unfilled, all fields show as required and the feature does not add to the map until/unless I fill out the required field. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Weird.  I have yet to see map viewer give any error about required field(s).  Just the "Value should be one of the listed values.", "Value should be between" or "Not a valid value".  No mention at all about required.

Even more weird is that if I populate ONE of the required fields, the only warning I get is "Value should be one of the listed values" for the one field that is NOT required.  All the other "required" fields don't say a thing.

Also, at least in Chrome, I get no warning when adding the first point without required fields populated.  All subsequent attempts I do (unless I reload map, then starts over fresh again for one point)

I am testing with two point features from a single hosted feature layer.  Due to the AGOL nightmares with relationships, I have none set up.  Just two point features, one of which is attachment enabled.

Obviously, the Forms were not designed to play well with map viewer.  Or rather, the forms are not well designed to play with map viewer.  One or the other I guess.

R_

0 Kudos
Lydco
by
Occasional Contributor

Well, by required I mean every field pops up with the warnings you listed. Those are the warnings that should show up for a required field that hasn't been filled out. But the Create button will not work until the actual required field is filled out, so effectively the warnings disguise the true status of the fields and make them all appear to be required. It works the same whether I've added a form or not.

I just tried Field Maps though and it works fine, so that's a relief!

0 Kudos