Field typing in a Web CSV data source

05-23-2012 11:05 AM
ChristopheTOURRET
New Contributor III
I'm trying to build a quake map from this dynamic web CSV from USGS : http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/csv/all/day

In the arcgis.com javascript viewer, I can add the data to a map, but I'm unable to symbolize quakes by magnitude because the magnitude field is recognized as test (no classification possible).

In ArcGIS Explorer Online, the field is recognized as a number and I can build the right symbology. if I save the map, and reopen it in the javascript viewer, it just doesn't work.

Any solution to make this map in the JS viewer ?

Thanks

Christophe Tourret
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I was able to symbolize the earthquakes by magnitude... Are you seeing the "Change Symbol" option on the layer in the Contents? I was able to change the symbol and use the Magnitude field to symbolize by size or color. Here's my map.

http://bit.ly/KRzWgR

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristopheTOURRET
New Contributor III
Thank you Mike,

I'm able to open successfully your map !

That helped me to understand : this is a bug with the French version of the Javascript viewer. If I switch the my account language to English, it just works, if I set it to French, the Magnitude field is interpreted as Text because of the decimal separator I guess

can you mark this an critical issue ?

thanks

Christophe
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, I see the problem. There are two possible solutions...

1. Author the web map in English by temporarily changing your language setting in your profile. This will allow you to choose the magnitude field as a numeric field and symbolize with it. However, because you are adding this CSV by reference, the data will get read each time the web map is opened. What I'm not sure about is as the data changes, will the new earthquakes be symbolized correctly? I'm not sure.

2. Alternatively, you can download the data. Change all commas to semicolons. Then change the period as a decimal place to a comma. Importing the data in French will now work. In this case, however, the data will not dynamically update.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
OscarMonell
Esri Contributor

I would like to push this thread again -

I understand that depending on the language settings for my ArcGIS Online account, comma or point will be interpreted differently.

I would like to see a workflow where the language setting is used as default, but with the option to change this setting for a specific file.

You don't want to download data from USGS and replace points with commas, since the whole point is to consume the live feed without any hands on work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos