Field Calculate Selected features ONLY in ArcGIS Online

12-28-2018 09:03 AM
VanceRenforth2
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to field calculate selected features only in ArcGIS Online. Alternatively, I suppose I could also use an if type expression to alter only blank/null fields. Is this possible, and if so how?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I know that ArcGIS Online calculations do not honor a selected set.  Not sure why, but I've been burned on it.  Check here: Calculate field values—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  you might a solution....

That should just about do it....
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

The link that Joe provided says "If you have a filter on your layer, only the records that meet the filter criteria will have their values calculated." Here is some info on setting filters: Apply filters—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please add your support to this idea:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14979 

If you have the time can you comment on that idea and add some information about the project you're working on and how the inability to calculate only for selected records affects/hinders your workflow.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

hahaha...  That's one I've already voted on.....

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joe Borgione yes I see that you submitted that idea. I was encouraging Vance Renforth to add their support and use case.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yes- I followed your link and it made me chuckle....

0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

FYI: the feature service layer Calculate API allows passing a where clause to filter which records will be affected by calculate. So without having a filter on the layer, you can pass a ad-hoc where clause to the calculate API. If you want to apply calculate to only null field, you can use something like myField IS NULL.

Khaled