Features shift when published as a service on ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-10-2014 08:00 AM
RachelWilliams
New Contributor II

I have feature classes that I am publishing as a service, but once I bring them into a map on ArcGIS Online the data appears to have shifted from its original location. These files started as CAD files, were transformed into feature classes within a geodatabase, and spatial adjustment was used to correct for errors in the original placement of the features. In ArcMap, these features display perfectly, it is only once they are published that they appear offset. They are off by about 250 feet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Unfortunately I cannot share that particular map, but I found a way to resolve the problem. The fix was to republish the utility services with a data transformation specified. I would have thought that both the drawing location and the selection location would be identical with both shifted on the basemap do to a lack of a data transformation being specified when the data was published as a service. Why would it be drawn in one location and selectable in a different location when it is the same data from the same service? Is this a bug in the map services?

The utility data is stored in Texas State Plane 1983 South Central US Feet in the geodatabase but the service is published in Web Mercator. The basemaps are the Esri default basemaps that are in Web Mercator as well. I know using the data transformation improves the accuracy of the utility data overlay, but it also slows down the rendering of the utility data.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JaneZaruba
New Contributor

I am also having a similar issue.  Everything looks great in ArcMap, but once my features are published, they appear off by about 30 feet.  I have published features dozens of times and I have never run into anything like this. Has anyone else had this sort of issue and been able to resolve?

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

What is the Spatial Reference of the source data.  And what background map are you using in AGOL?  Lastly how are you uploading the features?

0 Kudos
JaneZaruba
New Contributor

Spatial reference of the source data is NAD 83 State Plane Mississippi East.  I use the Imagery basemap in AGOL, which is in WGS.  I upload as a feature service and add that service to use in a webmap in AGOL.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you are using an ArcGIS Online basemap, the data will be projected into Web Mercator (basemap sets the projection for the map). The default transformation will be used to transform the data when it is transformed to Web Mercator. If this isn't the correct transformation, your data may be shifted. When you are setting up your data in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, change the dataframe projection to Web Mercator. See if the data is still shifted. The best way to publish data that is going to be transformed to Web Mercator is to chose the transformation and reproject the data before publishing.

Check out this support article for details in applying transformations:

How To: Select the correct geographic (datum) transformation when projecting between datums 

-Kelly

deleted-user-amp86F9KgPL3
New Contributor III

So  I changed my data frame coordinate system to web Mercator auxiliary sphere before publishing. This is what I get when viewing AGOL. The purple line is correct, but I cannot select the purple line, I must select over 2 to 3 ft ( Data Shit) to select and identify my data...? Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Can you share the rest url that you are seeing the issue with?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
deleted-user-amp86F9KgPL3
New Contributor III

I will message it to you.

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Did you ever find out why the selection is shifted? I am still having this issue with some of our maps. The layer is drawing in the correct place but the selection point is offset by about a foot.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Joshua,

Can you share your web map? What projection is the layer and basemap in?

-Kelly

0 Kudos