Feature Service Attachments are not opening in browser window

Jump to solution
11-25-2015 08:13 AM
EricErtl
New Contributor III

I was wondering if someone could help me out with an attachments issue I am having.  I have attached multiple images to a point feature layer and when I go to view the attachment via popup link (in AGOL) the image is downloaded instead of opening up in a browser window.  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any help is much appreciated...thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried a different browser?  I know for me Firefox always wants to download .pdf's and then open them with Adobe (I had to set Firefox up to have it open...but still downloads).  IE will open it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried a different browser?  I know for me Firefox always wants to download .pdf's and then open them with Adobe (I had to set Firefox up to have it open...but still downloads).  IE will open it.

0 Kudos
EricErtl
New Contributor III

Hi Rebecca,

I definitely usually avoid using IE but that did work.  I have, in the past, used Chrome and it has always opened the attachments in the browser.  It just does not do it now.  Thanks for the recommendation!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't use Chrome much but for FF, under Tools-Options

I had it set as "Always ask" before, but changed my to this (pulldown showed "Use Adobe Acrobat in FireFox" as an option).  When I go to a site, it will still ask if 'I want to allow (or did in same session) but I can mark it to always accept for a URL.

Might not help you, since you use Chrome, but may be helpful for others.

0 Kudos
BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Hello Eric,

Were you able to resolve this issue ,I''m experiencing the same on Chrome and IE 

It downloads the attachment and opens in Acrobat.

I would appreciate your insights if you were able to figure this out.

Thank you

Bhanu

0 Kudos
AshtonWoodrow1
New Contributor III

Anyone else have this issue since upgrading Portal to 10.7? I was previously using 10.5.1 and attachment links would open in a new tab and display in the browser (very convenient). Now since upgrading to 10.7 every newly created feature layer's attachment link will open a new tab but then open a download dialog box. The weird thing is that older maps and feature layers created in 10.5.1 are unaffected and operate as they always have. This is definitely not a browser setting or cache issue. I have tried both maps and repeated results on Chrome, Chrome Incognito, and IE.

Curious to see if anyone else has experienced these issues.

LarryJahn
Occasional Contributor

We are experiencing the same issue in Portal 10.7.  I have tried multiple browsers and all require you to save the file (in our case images mostly), instead of opening the files for viewing in a new browser tab.  Is this a bug?

Reported to Esri Tech Support:  #BUG-000125496

0 Kudos
RossHavery
New Contributor II

Did any of you manage to fix this and make attachments come up in the browser instead of downloading.

I am on 10.7 and have the same issue.

0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately, no.  Waiting on esri to fix.  It is currently listed as medium severity.  I hope they fix it soon.

0 Kudos
Bili
by
New Contributor III

I am using Enterprise 10.8.1 and can not open a PDF using a browser just by downloading, I want all users to open the document using a browser and not a download Is this possible?

0 Kudos