Feature Service "missing spatial reference information"

09-03-2013 09:25 AM
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I created an empty point shapefile and uploaded it to AGOL to make a feature service. I enabled editing, added it to a web map, and added about 30 points. When I try and reopen the web map or add the feature service to a new web map the error returned is:

The layer, LakePoints, is missing spatial reference information and cannot be added to the map.

In addition to enabling editing, I edited the extents on the feature service page (the extents I set include all of the features that I added). This all happened today.

Any suggestions?

Greg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Upload a projection file (prj) in the zip file which contains the shape data?
0 Kudos
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor
Good suggestion. I included a .prj when I initially uploaded it. I deleted it and tried again a few days later and everything worked fine. I lost the ~30 points I added but that's not such a big deal. I guess that perhaps it was a hiccup in the system when I was editing or saving the feature service.

Greg
0 Kudos
GarethMorgan
New Contributor II
Hi,

I've had a similar problem recently, I added the feature class created from a shapefile uploaded to our Online account (including .prj) file to an online map for data collection using the Collector app, which I tested at the time and had no problems with.

My colleague has been out and about collecting data today, and none of the edits he's created have saved. (I made the rookie mistake of not allowing syncing, and the area he's in has very poor 3G coverage, so that probably explains that).

I logged into the online account to check if any updates were saved, and the map we're using didn't include the feature class as a layer. I tried to add it again from My Content, and the "missing spatial reference information" error message popped up. I deleted and re-uploaded, and the same thing happened. When I tried again it seems to have worked fine. All of these uploads definitely contained .prj files (an error messages pops up when you try and upload shapefiles without one),  so I'm wondering if there may be an issue with the process of creating feature classes from shapefiles. Is this a common problem?

Thanks

Gareth
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Gareth,

Can you share the shapefile you're uploading and creating a feature service from? Am I correct in assuming that you're directly uploading the shapefile into your My Content and no publishing from ArcGIS Desktop?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GarethMorgan
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,

I've attached the shapefile in question. You're correct, I uploaded this directly into My Content. I have since uploaded the same shapefile with two test points included, and have not had this issue.

Thanks,

Gareth
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I missed the fact that the shapefile was empty. This is a known issue at this time.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Actually, we fixed the issue with loading empty shapefiles. However, I can reproduce the issue you report, so we'll need to take a look at it.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AdamLind
New Contributor
I am having the same issue. My map is Fairfax Bicycle Parking and the layer is Fairfax Co Bicycle Parking. I ran some test points with the collector app and they still show up even after I log out and back on with the app, but I cannot load up in ArcGIS online webmap.

I loaded an empty shapefile .zip with .prj file into the map. It initially worked, but like everyone else, when I go back it doesnt. The .prj is WGS Web Mercator 1984.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
BurlingtonStrachan1
New Contributor
I am having the same problem with empty shape files "missing spatial reference information" message.  I saw where it was indicated that this issue was fixed, but another user posted after that that they were still having the same problem. Can someone indicate if this still a known issue.

I have also had it happen on shapefiles that initially had data and were fine but had the data deleted (as part of the normal work process).  This would suggest that at least one element must be left in the shapefile at all times, even after successful loading into the map.

BFS
0 Kudos