Feature Service "missing spatial reference information"

09-03-2013 09:25 AM
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I created an empty point shapefile and uploaded it to AGOL to make a feature service. I enabled editing, added it to a web map, and added about 30 points. When I try and reopen the web map or add the feature service to a new web map the error returned is:

The layer, LakePoints, is missing spatial reference information and cannot be added to the map.

In addition to enabling editing, I edited the extents on the feature service page (the extents I set include all of the features that I added). This all happened today.

Any suggestions?

Greg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
the layer in the map is no longer a shapefile once loaded into the map. It shouldn't make a difference that there is no data in the layer. If you share your web map, we can take a look.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BurlingtonStrachan1
New Contributor
Mike,

I made the map public so you can have a look (I hope this does not create any complications when I switch back, I noticed some sharing settings had to be updated to make this possible).

The map name is BEC - New Providence & Paradise Island

I will have to restrict the sharing by the end of the day if you do not indicate more time is needed.

Burlington
0 Kudos
BrookeHaller1
New Contributor

I'm having this problem now too (July 2014). Was there ever a resolution? Should I just add a test point in the shapefile I'm uploading (and creating the service from) so that this doesn't happen?

0 Kudos
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor

That was my work-around last year.

0 Kudos
BrookeHaller1
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Seems like a silly bug. I actually edited my shape, added a point and then deleted it figuring this would help. Guess I just need to leave the point in. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Brooke,

It could be something different. Can you share the empty shapefile that was causing the error so we can reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
BrookeHaller1
New Contributor

Hi Mike. I added a point to it so that it would work (I have people going out into the field). I can replicate my process and create a new shapefile and share?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Brooke,

Yes, if you can generate a shapefile and share it, that would be great. Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
katherineobrien
New Contributor

Mike,

I am having the same issue as above. I created an empty point feature class in a file geodatabase with web mercator 1984 (auxillary sphere) defined.  I zipped the entire file and uploaded it my AGO organization account.

i shared, published the layer as a feature service then added it to a map.  I defined the extent of the layer to Durham county, NC.  I created, saved and shared a map. In the map I configured popups.

From the map I then published an app using the edit template.  I was able to create a point.

When I return to open the map to change the popups an error message that the point feature can not be added to the map.

I then navigate to the point feature class and select open in new map.  An error message says the layer is missing spatial reference and cannot be added to the map.

here is the service url:https://services.arcgis.com/ycIuRaoIC4UuCDAS/ArcGIS/rest/services/Durham_Happy/FeatureServer

It is odd that the application does show the point feature service and does allow users to add a point.

https://unc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Edit/index.html?appid=32de104831304b5b8a16c19ef312d718

I do need to make changes to the map and i need to be able to share the map.

What is the solution?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

katherine obrien‌,

I am unable to see the links you provided above. The items must not be shared publicly.

Mike

0 Kudos