Feature layer not displaying in Explorer app, but displays in AGO

6614
53
06-14-2019 08:12 AM
JustinRichardson
New Contributor II

I have a map with several layers from one hosted Feature layer.  In ArcGIS Online all of the layers display properly, but when I open the same map in Explorer or Collector, 2 of the 9 layers don't display at all, but they are listed in the legend.  What is really strange is one of the layers is labeled by its attributes and the labels display, but not he point feature.  I've deleted the online map and built a new one from scratch, but the same thing happens.  I've overwritten the Feature layer, but that didn't help either.  This is a map that we've been using for years and have never had this problem.

53 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let the thread know that Esri's developers and product engineers on multiple teams responsible have worked together to debug the root cause of this issue.

ESRI ANALYSIS:

Based on the debugging and some experimentation we determined that a change to GDI32.dll in specific patches to Windows 8.1/Server 2016 and Windows 10 caused a Windows GDI function to fail where it previously worked correctly. 

This defect can also be experienced or reproduced by opening EMF files referencing a font even in Microsoft Paint, even with no Esri software installed, so it seems clear that it is a system issue, not an issue in Esri software.

ESRI ACTION TAKEN:

Based on this info and our analysis we've provided details of the bug to Microsoft Premium Support and started a case with them under "urgent" severity to request a resolution.

AFFECTED ENVIRONMENTS:

Any machines with KB4503276 or later (for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2)

Or any machines with KB4503286 or later (Windows 10)

 

Note: You can see in the aforementioned KBs affected file lists that gdi32.dll is updated with this change.

WORKAROUNDS:

In the meantime the known workarounds are either to go roll back the KB fixes listed on your windows OS, or to use the workaround of publishing from Pro instead of ArcMap.  Pro uses a different code path that is not dependent on GDI (this is part of the reason we built Pro in the first place) so it should be unaffected by this bug.

NEXT STEPS:

I will update the thread once I have more information or further details from Microsoft. 

Feel free to continue to report the issue to support with details of your environment including windows version/build (you can type "winver" at a command prompt to get this information) and/or whether you've applied the aforementioned KB patches.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this issue in the meantime.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

Desktop Visualization Team

MORE DETAILS FOR THOSE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED:

GDI32.dll function "PlayEnhMetaFileRecord" fails, when called for "EMR_EXTCREATEFONTINDIRECTW" record.  This is the function used to "hydrate" a font from the font file when it's referenced in a GDI stream.  ArcMap uses fonts for all of its symbols, thus the reliance on this GDI function versus ArcGIS Pro, which uses vector geometries directly.

RandySteele
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update. I would like to add that publishing from Pro does not solve the issue, I could not find that specific update on my pc either. I had to perform a complete system restore in order to publish my data correctly.

While you claim it is not an ESRI issue, older applications of the Explorer for ArcGIS do not have this problem and work correctly. Another "work around" would be for ESRI to roll back the app to a working version.

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Randy,

Can you provide the versions of Explorer that do work in your experience?  

Also ArcGIS Pro version you tried? 

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Explorer 10.2.10, ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Contributor

Hi Randy,

Older versions of the Apps (including Explorer) have older versions of Runtime that do not utilize advanced symbology. These display simple symbology by default which is why the issue would not be reproduced. 

Colin

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Colin, thanks for the response. So a solution has been found. When will the app be updated to default to simple symbology?

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
JustinRay1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for responding to the group. My experience with this issue is not covered under your analysis. I am running Windows 7 (specifically Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601: Service Pack 1). I rolled back the Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB45063292) and that resolved the issue on my end. If you are interested in verifying my configuration and problem I would be happy to do a screen-sharing session.

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Justin.

I've been in contact with Microsoft this AM and I've added your configuration to the affected platforms list.

I'll let you know more once I've received any other info from them.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

RandySteele
New Contributor III

This really is frustrating. Again, we are having trouble with feature layers not showing up on the app and I have changed nothing since rolling back my pc.

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Well, since Windows 10 automatically updates, I had an update on July 1 so I had to restore my computer again, republished and now it's working. I have to manually turn off Windows update and IT is not too happy about that.

0 Kudos