Feature layer not displaying in Explorer app, but displays in AGO

06-14-2019 08:12 AM
JustinRichardson
New Contributor III

I have a map with several layers from one hosted Feature layer.  In ArcGIS Online all of the layers display properly, but when I open the same map in Explorer or Collector, 2 of the 9 layers don't display at all, but they are listed in the legend.  What is really strange is one of the layers is labeled by its attributes and the labels display, but not he point feature.  I've deleted the online map and built a new one from scratch, but the same thing happens.  I've overwritten the Feature layer, but that didn't help either.  This is a map that we've been using for years and have never had this problem.

54 Replies
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I am also having this problem. Older versions of Explorer work fine but not the new one. I do not even have the update KB4530286 installed. When was it released? I don't use ArcGIS Pro and what symbology are we to change?

I also want to add that the layers that are not showing up are also not showing up in the legend.

0 Kudos
DavidCrabtree
New Contributor II

Update was released June 11th for Windows 10. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4503286/windows-10-update-kb4503286 

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I have the same problem. I do not have the windows update ESRI is referring to installed. I have tried publishing with ArcGIS pro and have the same results. Do note, the layers that are not showing up are not in the legend. Also, the map works fine on older versions of the Explorer app. If anybody has a fix, please post it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JustinRay1
Occasional Contributor

I didn't have the one they referenced either. I uninstalled KB4503292 from my Windows 7 machine and that did the trick - it was the most recent Security Update for Microsoft Windows.

0 Kudos
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Changing the symbology online seems to work but there aren't symbols that match what I want to use and would confuse staff. 

RandySteele
New Contributor III

I uninstalled a bunch of security updates but that didn't work initially. My solution was to restore my computer back to before the June 11, 2019 update and reinstall 10.6.1. ESRI support has been no help at all. I'm new to this GIS stuff and must say that I am not impressed at all with the programs. I've never worked with any platform so buggy. I've realized that I am going to need another machine to test everything before upgrading.

Thanks to those that posted in this forum.

0 Kudos
DrewCover
New Contributor III

Welcome to working with esri software Randy! 

When you begin troubleshooting, you must always ask yourself: 'Could this be an esri bug?', the answer is usually yes.  esri also likes to change and update things without saying anything...  Always good to start with searching GeoNet for your problem.

Still the best and most prolific GIS out there tho and not going anywhere.  Support will come around. 

Try publishing simple symbols, or use your Enterprise Portal if you can

ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello everyone,

From initial investigations there seems to be an issue with the publishing process. The best method is to go through Support so we can gather more information about the cause. It does seem to be specific to Character Marker Symbols set in ArcMap before publishing. As Pro handles this symbology differently, a workaround is to publish the same data from Pro or, as noted, change the symbology within the Web Map in ArcGIS Online. Support should be able to get you attached to a relevant bug for further updates on the issue. Thank you for all of the feedback. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
RandySteele
New Contributor III

I tried publishing through Pro and nothing changed. Support could not replicate the problem. The solution was to roll back my pc to before the June 11 update.

When will ESRI fix this issue so that we can upgrade our machines?

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
DrewCover
New Contributor III

We also encountered this today.  Published three layers to AGOL as a service, point symbols did not show up at all in iOS Collector, but data and layers were there in the web map.  Poly layer was fine.

We published 'dumb symbols' (default point circles with color), from ArcMap and they displayed from iOS Collector/AGOL with no problems

The hosted features were published from Windows 7 and 10 with latest updates.  

Does not appear to be an issue with our Portal.  We pushed our fancy symbols from ArcMap to Portal and found an offline configured basemap (NatGeo World, no stupid esri credentials asked for...) to use for our remote field crew

Hopefully esri has this resolved by conference time...  cuz we LOVE to complain! 

ArcMap 10.5.1

Portal 10.6.1

New Collector for IPad

0 Kudos