Export to File Geodatabase does not work

Jump to solution
04-19-2022 05:55 AM
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

I have several large feature layers (about 5,000 parcels in each) with attachments and related tables in some, but not all. I have realized that it has gotten the the point where I can't export my data as a File Geodatabase anymore in AGOL. It will just show a loading screen and default back to the screen with the original selection (shown below) and does not create anything from this data.

DaveBodak_0-1650372330883.png

I have done some research and noticed this was a problem in 2018, I was hoping it would be solved by now and that I was experiencing a different issue. As we continue to locate more assets without having backup files saved in AGOL, there comes a bigger risk with losing significant amounts of data if something were to happen.

Here is that article I found: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015786

The only issue with this method is that it does not preserve everything within the feature layer and is more time consuming to go through.

Thanks for your help!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you only tried exporting from the Item Details page (like your screenshot shows) and not the REST Endpoint? That's the method I always have to use, especially for large datasets. These two articles might help.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012232

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000014156

Good luck!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you only tried exporting from the Item Details page (like your screenshot shows) and not the REST Endpoint? That's the method I always have to use, especially for large datasets. These two articles might help.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012232

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000014156

Good luck!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

Yes, that was the method I have primarily used. I went through the article and it doesn't seem to bring the related table and attachments with it when I export it, is there something here that I am missing?

This did move in the right direction though, thanks!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm, it should have the related tables in the file geodatabase output. Are you making sure to reference all layers in the service when you export?

Katherine_Clark_0-1650379975934.png

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

When I export I have multiple layers shown in that section, I will upload a screenshot of my setup:

DaveBodak_0-1650655429458.png

You may notice, that across the bottom is says layerid: 1 is not valid. It seems like this may be part of my issue for my two related tables to be exporting within the FGDB.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh, interesting. What type of layer is layerID1? Can you also share a screenshot of what the REST endpoint looks like for the feature service?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

I am thinking that since there is only one layer, it may now know what to reference. Here are the tables contained within this feature dataset. The multiple GBD_ServiceItems are from previous FGDB exports when the data was smaller and it worked through this screen.

DaveBodak_2-1650656110773.png

Are you able to navigate me to the REST endpoint section? Thanks!

0 Kudos
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

Scratch that, I got it to work!

When I was sending the screenshots of my layers I realized what the IDs actually were, and it worked once I fixed them. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ok yup, that's exactly the info I wanted to see in your screenshot. Just needed to reference 0, 3, 5, 6, 10 instead of 0, 1, 2, 3

Glad you got it to work!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
ScottKiley
Occasional Contributor II

I continue to have problems exporting hosted feature services to File Geodatabases. I have some services with lots of attachments, thus a large data storage footprint. At times when exporting those from the item details, it looks as though it's complete. It even creates a new item for the FGDB. Though, downloading it from that resulting item details page creates an invalid ZIP file.

I often find the case is the FGDB simply hasn't completed exporting, so I try again and let it sit on the exporting page, even though it shows complete, then open the resulting item on another window and leave the original until I have a valid ZIP file.

I say this often works, because (like everything ArcGIS) it doesn't ALWAYS work.

If you find this to be the case, I suggest trying to run a feature class to feature class on the feature data in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. This works surprisingly well for me.

You can also try using the instructions in the Technical Support below:

Problem: Exporting a hosted feature service as a file geodatabase in ArcGIS Online returns a corrupt...

0 Kudos