Euclidean Distance in Kilometers

10-13-2018 04:19 PM
RachelDiPietro
New Contributor II

I need to calculate Euclidean distance for a set of points, and I would like the output to be in kilometers. I am aware that this can be confounded because the tool only uses information from the input dataset and that the input should be projected, but I am also not sure which projection can fix this problem. I attempted to use the tool with the point layer projected in the same coordinate system as the counties base layer, but the unit problem wasn't fixed.

Examples are attached. First image is from the point set without a projection, second image is the point set with the same projection as the counties base layer (North America Equidistant Conic). Screenshots are mainly to show the problem with units in the table of contents.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

euc1 is in decimal degrees, euc2 is in meters since that is the native units I suspect of the coordinate system.  If you derived those values from a field, you could simply calculate a new field dividing by 1000  to get km... assuming that you can't scale the legend display

RachelDiPietro
New Contributor II

I used the raster calculator on the second distance output. Looks like it worked. Thank you again!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad you got it to work Rachel

0 Kudos