ESRI layer with googlemap-like neighborhood and urban village names?

Jump to solution
12-03-2020 02:46 PM
Labels (1)
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

Does ESRI (or anybody) have a layer that has all of the neighborhood and urban village names like GoogleMaps does?

I live in Phoenix metro, so I want to see "real" cities like Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Phoenix, etc. but also see village and neighborhood names like "Arcadia" and "Biltmore".

This are a step more than the CDPs that ESRI has, I have to think this data is around someplace?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Googlemaps has so many datasources mashed in there, you couldn't even imagine. A lot of that data is wrong or off. You can start with tiger places. Phoenix has a open data portal with the 'urban villages' or 'neighborhood associations'. Zillow shares out neighborhood shapefiles.

Honestly mapping neighborhoods is almost worse than working with postal code data - everyone thinks they know their neighborhood, but everyone disagrees on what/ where the boundaries are. If you want to work on specific cities, let me know and I can try to help out a bit more.

Justin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Googlemaps has so many datasources mashed in there, you couldn't even imagine. A lot of that data is wrong or off. You can start with tiger places. Phoenix has a open data portal with the 'urban villages' or 'neighborhood associations'. Zillow shares out neighborhood shapefiles.

Honestly mapping neighborhoods is almost worse than working with postal code data - everyone thinks they know their neighborhood, but everyone disagrees on what/ where the boundaries are. If you want to work on specific cities, let me know and I can try to help out a bit more.

Justin

0 Kudos
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, Google is doing a LOT in there, I was hoping it was standardized somewhere.

For Phoenix metro, its pretty good: neighborhoods like Arcadia and Biltmore are pretty well defined.  The Urban Villages map is available from City of Phoenix, but it is really more of a "job center" and nobody really cares about the names like the do in the older parts of Phoenix.

I noticed my old hometown of Minneapolis is quite well labeled in GoogleMaps as well.

Thanks for the info, cheers!

0 Kudos