Error while analyzing Shapefile 'parcels.zip' invalid compression method

11-29-2018 12:57 PM
BDU_RyanChittenden
New Contributor III

I am trying to add a parcels layer to a webmap on AGOL.  I keep getting this error message; Error in adding file item: Error while analyzing Shapefile 'parcels.zip' invalid compression method.  I made sure all the necessary files for a shapefile were compressed, and have done so a handful of times with no success.  Since it is a parcel layer for the largest county in the U.S. is it a size limitation I am dealing with?  The zip file is too large to attach to this post too.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ryan,

Can you confirm what is in the zip file? Which files I mean? How large it is (size wise)? How many polygons are in it? Can you consume this parcel data from a feature service hosted by that city or county or state?

0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
New Contributor III

The .dbf, .prj, .sbn, .sbx, .shp, .shx, and another .shp but it is listed as XML document. Compressed file size is 298k and there are 810k polygons.  I am not sure what you mean by  "Can you consume this parcel data from a feature service hosted by that city or county or state?"  I usually work on local drives exclusively in arcmap or qgis.  This is the first time I had to mess with web maps on AGOL.  Got to say I am disappointed by its limited functionality.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It's only 298 kb? Can you attach it to your post (or a reply)? 

Where I work/live, in Utah, I can go to the State of Utah's GIS depository and grab any of the local county's parcel data as they provide it as a service on their GIS Server. This service can be consumed in ArcGIS Online.

In AGOL you can add a layer "from the web" and just put in the web address as that layer:

You can also search for these layers as well and I would think more places would have parcel data out for grabs in AGOL.

0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
New Contributor III

excuse me 298k kb.  typo

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

If you're in Los Angeles county, it looks like you can consume their data in AGOL here:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5b277305f006459586a70165065d0fd6 

0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
New Contributor III

It is san bernardino county

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor
0 Kudos
BDU_RyanChittenden
New Contributor III

I uploaded it to google drive then uploaded it to my content in AGOL.  it worked.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Great, glad it worked!