Error Generating Token Store Credentials AGOL Server 10.3.1

02-15-2017 01:56 PM
ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

We have recently enabled https and are no longer able to store user credentials on a secure service. Prior to enabling https we were able to store credentials in AGOL and access secure services externally. Now when we try and store the credentials in AGOL we get the following error  "Error Generating Token". We also now have issues trying to hit secured services from outside our organisation we get the following error "We were unable to connect to: https:// .....

Error: Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify the server is running). We have been through the process of checking that our SSL certificates are valid.

Our local ESRI vendor believes the issue is something to do with our reverse proxy and a rule / setting here. Our infrastructure team are currently working with Fortiweb to try and find a solution.

I've read a few posts about similar problems with Portal however we still haven't been able to resolve the problem.

We are running ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 and ArcMap 10.3.1

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Clinton

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you able to remote into the Portal machine as the user running the Portal Windows service and try to reach the service URL you're trying to add?  That should let you know if some change prohibited Portal from making outbound connections.

0 Kudos
ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

We have now resolved this issue. The problem was a "misplaced" rule on our Firewall that was essentially blocking GIS traffic.

Thanks,

Clinton

0 Kudos
BillDoerflein
New Contributor II

Clinton, what was the "misplaced" rule on your firewall?  Gave you give me any info on that.  I'm trying to generate a map layer from our server via the web and I am getting a token error like you did.  I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.  Thanks, Bill

0 Kudos
ClintonBallandis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bill,

Sorry I don't know the exact rule as one of our IT guys looked at this and fixed it. However I no remember that one issue was the location of the rule of the fire wall. I think it was placed too far down the list of rules and was being blocked by a deny above it. I also think that one of the rules also had been set in the wrong direction essentially allowing traffic out to the web but blocking it coming in.

Hopefully this is useful.

Thanks,

Clinton

0 Kudos
PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Anyone figure out what the firewall settings were?  I am running into the same "Error generating token" error.

Thanks!
Pamela 

0 Kudos
StephanieRinguet2
New Contributor III

I am also experiecing same "Error generating token: error when adding secure services. did not have that issue before. None of my editing apps are working.

0 Kudos
V_ManojDivakaran
New Contributor

I am also facing the same issue. When i am adding the rest services Url of a service in the Portal through add item tab, after giving the necessary information i am getting error generating token twice.

0 Kudos
JesúsVillalobos
New Contributor

Did you find the solution? In my case, firewall is not the problem. I switched it off and the problem was not solved.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TomDe_Leus1
New Contributor II

I'm facing the same problem....

Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos