Select to view content in your preferred language

Elevation layer units in feet, but treated as meters.

03-08-2023 09:06 AM
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

I have published a web elevation layer (from a scene in ArcPro). The units are in feet and are in the 5,000's range. This is a snip from an elevation profile done with the scene viewer. The elevation units are being treated as meters and multiplied by 3.048 to 'convert them' to feet. How do I get the scene viewer to recognize the elevation surface units correctly (or should they be converted to meters)?

RandyMcGregor3_0-1678294807778.png

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Next to the trash can is the settings option to change the unit of measurement to meters

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/get-started/scene-elevation-profile.htm

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

Thanks for the input, but that didn't work. See below.  It 'thinks' the custom surface has elevation units of meters so whatever unit I pick the elevation will be modified as if it were starting with meters.

RandyMcGregor3_0-1678301536138.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the web scene and layer and I can take a look. 

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

Sorry, but this is confidential data. I appreciate the follow up. The raster is in a state plane system, linear units and elevation units are in feet. I am going to try to get a 3D analyst license and changes the elevation units to meters with math.  

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

I could use 'times' to create a new raster with meters for elevation, but don't have 3D analyst.

0 Kudos
james-noble
Esri Contributor

Hi @RandyMcGregor3, ArcGIS Online assumes the 'z value' of your Elevation layer is the same as that of the scene. My assumption is that this scene also contains the default elevation layer, which is in Meters.

To fix this, I think you'd need to either:

• A) Use Meters: Convert the unit of your elevation surface to Meters using the Raster Calculator tool in ArcGIS Pro
  • B) Use Feet: Re-author the scene as a local scene, using only your elevation layer

Here's the relevant section from the documentation:

jamesnoble_0-1678653633539.png

Full documentation: Basemap and elevation layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

James Noble
Programme & Service Delivery @ Esri UK
RandyMcGregor3

Thank you for this information. I will give it a try.

0 Kudos
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

Dealing with this same issue out of no where. I've been publishing elevation layers from drone2map and site scan without issue for months until all the sudden it's making all my elevation layers use meters, even though they are all processing using feet. Tried to publish from multiple locations and it seems that it's an AGOL issue. 

0 Kudos