Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing a Layer Style/ the drawingInfo in ArcGIS does not save to the layer

01-05-2024 11:15 AM
Labels (2)
JohnEvans6
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I had a question regarding how Layer Styles are saved/applied on AGOL. In short, it looks like you can no longer update a Feature Layers style and have it save to drawingInfo via AGOL. Once the Feature Layer is published, the drawingInfo cannot be updated through the Visualization options and must be exported into ArcGIS Pro and republished with updated symbology.

Example:

• User navigates to source data available UAS Restrictions Downloads 
  • My User opted to download as a shapefile, but one could just create and save a layer via URL source; no effect on the end outcome.
  • User creates a featurelayer in AGOL via the "New Item" button and drags zip file in, following the prompts
  • User opts to create a hosted feature layer from the shapefile

This layers styling is Blue transparent solid fill. We want a Red (ff0000) fill at 25% transparency with a dotted outline.

• Through the Viz tool, update the fill and outline of the hosted feature layer from blue to redAGOL_Style_applied.PNG
  • Under Properties -> Information, save the changes. On exploration, there are only options to "use styling as it was published" or "Use map properties". Either option will not change the drawingInfo.

Layer_Options.PNG

drawinfo.PNG

Now in ArcGIS Pro, sign into your portal and load this map through the Catalog -> Portal. The style does load into Pro this way.

Pro_ImportFromAGOL.PNG

Now load it through Add Data -> Data from Path. Load the yourendpoint/FeatureServer/0/ URL. The styling is the base styling and not the styling applied/saved to the layer via the viz tool. If you go to the drawingInfo, the info remains as it was published.

Pro_ImportFromURL.PNG

Is there a way to update a Layers styling in AGOL at the FeatureLayer level and not the Map Level (or however it seems to be working now?)

Thanks!

5 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

After changing the symbology in the visualization tab, did you "Save" the changes?

RhettZufelt_0-1704488649552.png

R_

JohnEvans6
Occasional Contributor

Confirm we have tried both the save from layer properties and the save on the top left as indicated. Either save button location triggers "Save Changes" far as I can tell.

style_saves.PNG

I'm baffled that it displays correctly in ArcGIS Pro via the catalogue pane but incorrectly through importing the service endpoint.

Thanks for taking a peek. I was somewhat hopeful it was a pebkac situation.

The data is public and it's just for figuring this out, so our endpoint is Style Testing 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Sorry, didn't catch that you are adding from endpoint in your original post.

If you are adding the service end point, it should have the symbology originally published with Pro as modifying in the visualization tab doesn't change the service/endpoint, rather saves that information in the item itself.

If you modify the HFS in the visualization tab and want to see the 'new' symbology in the map, you need to add the 'item' to the map, not the service URL.

Here is a map adding the REST URL (I have already created a new item from it and modified the symbology in the visualization tab, but the URL with have the original symbology):

RhettZufelt_0-1704492230033.png

Then, if I load the 'item' that I modified the symbology in the visualization tab:

RhettZufelt_1-1704492258511.png

R_

JohnEvans6
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I did try updating the visualization through adding the layer to a map via endpoint, but there is no option to "save" once updated. I tried save as, but the layers drawingInfo remains blue.

The challenge here is we're not loading this layer back into an AGOL map; the visualization changes used to save to the HFS. We have a custom-code web application that uses ArcGIS Server, Oracle, and the JS Developer SDK that allows the ingestion of Feature Service Endpoints. I have users that develop HFS's via AGOL. These HFS's are then ingested into our product for building work products and conducting analysis.

Our users used to be able to load shapefiles or information from other sources, change the style, then save the layer. That same workflow now will change the style in AGOL and if that layer is used in an AGOL map, the style displays correctly. However, when our application wants to ingest that layer through the FS/0 endpoint, whatever style it was originally uploaded as is displayed, since AGOL never updates the features drawingInfo.

Below is our application loading the endpoint as blue. In AGOL this layer has been visually updated and saved to be Red. It will display Red in an AGOL map and in ArcGIS Pro if loaded from the content pane. If i load this layer via URL, it is blue.

style_attempt.PNG

It seems like once an HFS is published, there is no way to update a layers drawingInfo in AGOL; the layer has to be pulled into ArcGIS Pro, extracted/copied, restyled, and completely republished. 

0 Kudos
AlejandroGarza
New Contributor

Hello 

We are having the same problem with AGOL

We do not have access to ArgGIS Pro right now 

Any suggetions has to how to update the drawingInfo or how to republish the featureLayer with the visual modifications done from the Visualization tab?

Best

0 Kudos