Drop Down menus for Editing Attributes in ArcGIS Online

12-17-2012 09:04 AM
BrianBeck
New Contributor III
I am trying ArcGIS online for the first time and I am hoping it might work for setting up a very simple editing application where users can provide a point on a map and enter very simple attributes.  I have set up an editable feature service from an shapefile that I uploaded.  I then added that to a map, configured the attributes, and added the map to a web application using the "Editing" template.

I would like one of the attributes to be a drop down menu in which I can provide all valid entries in that attribute.  Obviously, this would need to be hardcoded somehow because shapefiles don't allow coded value domains.

Is this possible with ArcGIS Online?  Would this require me to develop my own web map application just to add this little bit of additional functionality?
Tags (2)
14 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you symbolize the field using Unique Values, you will then get a set of templates where you can add any of the unique types. And when you edit the attributes, it will be a dropdown.

THanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AndrewHulthen
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

I'm having a problem where my dropdown field attribute values are unordered.  Is there a way to make these values appear in alphabetic order?

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Andrew,

What is the source of the data you're editing?  If it is based on data where you have domains set up (i.e., published from ArcGIS Desktop), then the  order comes from the order the domains were created. There is a desktop tool to reorder domains, called sort coded value domains.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

This sorting would have to be done before publishing the data to ArcGIS Online or your own ArcGIS Server. There is no ability to sort these values in the map viewer of ArcGIS Online.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
AndrewHulthen
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Yes the data was published from ArcGIS Desktop.  I've since done as you suggested - drop down menus now alphabetised in AGOL.  Many thanks for your help.

Andy

0 Kudos
JillThornton
New Contributor
If I want my feature polygons to all start out as one color, that would mean they all have the same attribute in that field...so then how would it know what the dropdown options are?  Also, how do I make it so that the users can edit a field in the table, but not edit the shape itself?  Thanks,  Jill
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jill,

Are you hosting your feature service on ArcGIS Online or on your own ArcGIS Server?
If ArcGIS Online, how did you publish it to online? What was the source of the data, e.g., shapefiles?

Basically, if you're publishing from ArcGIS Desktop, and your data has domains defined, these will come through when editing attributes. If you published a shapefile, there are no domains, so we will only populate a dropdown when editing for the field you symbolized. Thus, it would not be possible to display a single symbol and have the editing dropdown.

If your feature service is hosted, go to the item details page of the service, and click Edit. There is an option that allows you to control what kinds of edits can be made. One of the choices is that only attributes can be edited.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JillThornton
New Contributor
I managed to create a dropdown for editing until I realized later on that I can't share an editable shapefile on a web app, so in creating a feature service, the Edit button is now grayed in the Item Details....I tried creating a service from ArcMap to ArcGIS Online, but it says I don't have hosting services enabled and need to contact ESRI....not sure if that's even necessary, I just need for that Edit button to not be grayed out!  Any ideas?  Thanks,  Jill
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jill,

Have you purchased a subscription to ArcGIS Online?  You need one to publish a hosted feature service. Or, if you have ArcGIS Server, you can publish to your server.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JillThornton
New Contributor
Yes, I have a paid subscription--5 user account....and I'm an administrator....
0 Kudos