Does the "Near Me" widget and "directions" option within a Web Mapping Application use up your account credits?

04-09-2018 06:00 PM
NicholasRutledge
New Contributor

If I develop a Web Mapping Application with a near me widget and I use that widget and then get direction to one of the results, does this use up my account credits like a normal web map would?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

The short answer is yes it does if you use the esri routing services.  You can limit how many routes a user uses (and thus limit credit usage) by making a copy of the routing, traffic and the logistics services by creating a copy of the esri services in your Org, set to public, then set a rate limit on the services, then use the copied services in your Directions widget

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks David,

It is correct that any tool using the Esri Routing services will cost credits. When you are using a credit costing service in an application, like direction and Web Appbuilder you will need to enable the application to spend credits through a proxy. With the configurable apps you will see this in the configuration panel if any credit costing services are used:

In Web AppBuilder apps, you can configure access to credit costing services through the attributes tab:

Attribute—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

The Near Me widget will consume credits if you enable the directions component to use the Esri Network Analysis services:

Near Me widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Let us know if you have any questions,

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kelly, no I don't have any questions, the method I outlined above works for me and my org.  I do have a comment though.  For Organization hosted WABs, the method you outline never seems to work once I have logged out of the application.  I had tried many times, which is why I gave up and began using an Organization copy of the services, and then setting a rate limit.

For my Developer edition WABs, I use our own .Net proxy app on our web server and route the calls through it.

Thanks,

David