Does the "Near Me" widget and "directions" option within a Web Mapping Application use up your account credits?

04-09-2018 06:00 PM
NicholasRutledge
New Contributor II

If I develop a Web Mapping Application with a near me widget and I use that widget and then get direction to one of the results, does this use up my account credits like a normal web map would?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

The short answer is yes it does if you use the esri routing services.  You can limit how many routes a user uses (and thus limit credit usage) by making a copy of the routing, traffic and the logistics services by creating a copy of the esri services in your Org, set to public, then set a rate limit on the services, then use the copied services in your Directions widget

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks David,

It is correct that any tool using the Esri Routing services will cost credits. When you are using a credit costing service in an application, like direction and Web Appbuilder you will need to enable the application to spend credits through a proxy. With the configurable apps you will see this in the configuration panel if any credit costing services are used:

In Web AppBuilder apps, you can configure access to credit costing services through the attributes tab:

Attribute—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

The Near Me widget will consume credits if you enable the directions component to use the Esri Network Analysis services:

Near Me widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Let us know if you have any questions,

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kelly, no I don't have any questions, the method I outlined above works for me and my org.  I do have a comment though.  For Organization hosted WABs, the method you outline never seems to work once I have logged out of the application.  I had tried many times, which is why I gave up and began using an Organization copy of the services, and then setting a rate limit.

For my Developer edition WABs, I use our own .Net proxy app on our web server and route the calls through it.

Thanks,

David