Does importing a new license file to ArcGIS Online replaces the existing one?

Jump to solution
11-19-2019 10:13 AM
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III

Previously our subcription had just one creator, we created a new license file containing 4 creators and 50 viewers. When imported the license file, we now have 4 creators and 50 viewers, instead of having 5 creators and 50 viewers.

Does importing a license file, overwrites the existing one and the number of licenses will not be appended?

Thanks

-Z-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Zareh,

ArcGIS portal and ArcGIS Online provide very similar capabilities. Most people would say that ArcGIS Portal is a disconnected version of ArcGIS Online allowing you to manage the server and allowing your Portal to be fully disconnected from the internet. Understand the relationship between Portal for ArcGIS and an ArcGIS Online subscription—Portal for A... 

I wasn't able to find any information directly relating to ArcGIS Online but due to the similarities between ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Portal I would imagine the licensing works in the same way. If you look on this page Manage licenses—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise  you will see a note that states: 

Note:

When importing a new license file, any user types or app licenses in your portal will be overwritten by the new license file. For example, if you had apps in your portal that are no longer included in your new license file, these apps will be removed when the new license file is imported.

This note seems to be the exact same situation as you described above.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Thanks

Ben

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Zareh,

ArcGIS portal and ArcGIS Online provide very similar capabilities. Most people would say that ArcGIS Portal is a disconnected version of ArcGIS Online allowing you to manage the server and allowing your Portal to be fully disconnected from the internet. Understand the relationship between Portal for ArcGIS and an ArcGIS Online subscription—Portal for A... 

I wasn't able to find any information directly relating to ArcGIS Online but due to the similarities between ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Portal I would imagine the licensing works in the same way. If you look on this page Manage licenses—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7 and 10.7.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise  you will see a note that states: 

Note:

When importing a new license file, any user types or app licenses in your portal will be overwritten by the new license file. For example, if you had apps in your portal that are no longer included in your new license file, these apps will be removed when the new license file is imported.

This note seems to be the exact same situation as you described above.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Thanks

Ben

ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot for the clarification Ben.

Yes this is exactly what I was looking for.

What should we do in this case to have all the users in one license file?

0 Kudos
ZarehDemirdjian
New Contributor III

Nevermind I was able to cancel the license file and create a new one with the complete list of user types.

Thank you

-Z-

0 Kudos