Do Arcade expressions consume any credits in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
02-03-2020 10:06 AM
MericBirol1
New Contributor II

I was wondering if the Arcade expressions like geometry functions and text functions, are consuming any credits in ArcGIS online. Especially when the expressions are in Symbolization and Pop-ups. If they are consuming any credits, how much is it? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DianaLavery1
Esri Contributor

Hi Meric,

Good question. Arcade expressions do not consume credits.  By "expensive," it's just computationally expensive, so you might see a "loading" message for a split second, especially for the geometry-based functions.

-Diana

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JacobWatson1
New Contributor III

Meric,

As far as I can tell, they do not cost any credits to use. I have a simply expression to shorten address when being displayed on my map and when I am examining my credit cost I can not see any credits going towards expression use only storage of hosted layers. 

This expression is extremely simple so if more complicated expressions takes credits, I will not know.

Hope this helps!

- Jacob Watson

0 Kudos
MericBirol1
New Contributor II

Thank you so much, Jacob for replying! I am still concerned about the geometry functions (and for loops, if statements etc..) in general. I found this information on the Arcade Geometry Function website:

Since Arcade expressions execute for each feature, using multiple geometry operations within the context of the labeling and visualization profiles can be expensive and severely impact the performance of the application.

The word "expensive" made me even more confused, because it is not clear enough. 

Thanks again, 

Meric

0 Kudos
DianaLavery1
Esri Contributor

Hi Meric,

Good question. Arcade expressions do not consume credits.  By "expensive," it's just computationally expensive, so you might see a "loading" message for a split second, especially for the geometry-based functions.

-Diana

MericBirol1
New Contributor II

Hi Diana,

Thank you! This clarifies everything! And, I can keep using Arcade.

Meric