Difficult to setup a portal federated with a server

01-21-2016 10:15 PM
GeorgeShi2
New Contributor

I found it is difficult to setup a portal to federated with server even in a development environment (I have Windows Server's admin privilege). In fact, I haven't got it work yet.

I've installed portal, server, data store (10.3.1) in one box and have a hard time to make it work as a federated portal. One of causes is the requirement for enabling HTTPS.

I'm doing POC (proof of concept) for using Portal in a development server (Windows). Can it be configured (federated) using HTTP on a dev server inside firewall?

thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Portal for ArcGIS works on https only.

Please follow the steps in the following document to enable SSL

Enabling SSL on your web server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

EDIT: You could create a self-signed certificate for Development environment.

Think Location
JoeWeyl
Occasional Contributor

Hi George -

Going through this same configuration myself, but with an HA portal, so it makes it even more difficult. The workflow being suggested to you is a great place to start. Since you are working in a dev environment, you will have to use a self signed cert and bind it in IIS on 443 in order for this to work, at the lowest level. When you move to production, you will need to use a known cert, that ArcGIS Server and Portal are both using.

Good Luck.

Joe

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi George,

As Jayanta commented in his post, Portal for ArcGIS requires HTTPS. If you want to federate a Server site with Portal, then the Server site also has to be set to "HTTP and HTTPS" or "HTTPS only".

In addition, using the ArcGIS Data Store is NOT a requirement if you just want to federate a Server site with Portal for ArcGIS. It is required if you want to set-up a hosting server.

FYI, a help topic checklist on troubleshooting issues when trying to federate a Server site with Portal:

Common problems and solutions—Portal for ArcGIS (10.4) | ArcGIS for Server

Hope this helps,

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Hello Derek,

Could you help me with something please. I am trying to federate my Server with my Portal for ArcGIS to no avail. I have read everything I can find concerning it but have not made any headway.

The following is from the portal error log. Does it make any sense to you or give you an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

'https://lamata-gissvr:6443/arcgis/manager/rest/info?f=json' is not accessible: Error. sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target.</Msg>

<Msg time="2016-02-16T16:26:50,789" type="SEVERE" code="204084" source="Sharing" process="4492" thread="13" methodName="" machine="LAMATA-GISSVR.LAMATA-NG.COM" user="" elapsed="">Invalid SSL certificate found. PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target</Msg>

<Msg time="2016-02-16T16:26:50,790" type="SEVERE" code="219000" source="Sharing" process="4492" thread="13" methodName="" machine="LAMATA-GISSVR.LAMATA-NG.COM" user="" elapsed="">URL 'https://lamata-gissvr:6443/arcgis/manager/rest/info?f=json' is not accessible: Error. sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target.</Msg>

I appreciate any help you are able to render.

Lara

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

You need to make sure that the Portal trusts the certificate used by your Server:

Configuring the portal to trust certificates from your certifying authority—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 ...

Since the request that is failing is the one that reaches the Server via 6443, export the certificate used for port 6443 using your browser and then follow the steps in the link above to tell Portal to trust that certificate.

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for  this solution. As it turned out, the problem was actually that the wrong self-signed certificate was being accessed. With the assistance of my organization's IT personnel, we were able to point the Portal towards the right certificate. I was then able to federate my server without a hitch.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos