Different addresses are geocoded to one point

Jump to solution
05-28-2015 09:35 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently uploaded a list of addresses and ran into several issues. As you can see in the below pictures one particular point has 7 data points mapped at that one location. However, the 7 data points represent 6 different addresses. I looked but couldn't find a particular thread or help section that addressed this. Thanks for your help.

Geocoding issues 1.JPG

Geocoding issues 2.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matthew - when you uploaded the file, there was a dialog that listed the fields inside the file. The dialog should have also displayed which fields will be used for geocoding. Typically, this relationship is obvious (City -> City) and easily deduced but sometimes an address field isn't easily interpreted. Looks like that may have happened in your case, judging from the fields in your screenshot. The 'Addr1' field didn't correctly map to Address level matching in the geocoder, which explains why the seven addresses were all centered in the City (which was correctly matched).

You can fix this be re-adding the file and selecting the Addr1 field to be the Address location field, as shown below.

csvaddr1.jpg

To fix:

csvaddr12.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Did you use Esri's World Geocoder?  I'm guessing that it couldn't find the street addresses for those 7 points so it defaulted to the City.  Are all those points in the center of Shippensburg, PA?

-Steven

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

How can I tell if I used Esri's World Geocoder? I went to Add Layer, selected from file, and chose the file with the addresses. It does appear that they all defaulted to the center of Shippensburg PA. Any suggestions for how to remedy this? Check out the picture below. Point A is where the 7 points were mapped. Using's ArcGIS Online's directions feature I searched for the address of one of points that's mapped at Point A. It correctly finds the address, which is Point B below. If it can find it in the search feature why wouldn't it geocode correctly?

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Strange that the directions would find the correct address while the geocoder didn't.  It appears you are logged into ArcGIS Online, correct?

To see what geocoder you are using in ArcGIS Online, go to your portal and login, Click My Organization, Edit Settings, Utility Services.

To remedy it, it would be best to build your own locator service but you would also need ArcGIS Server to publish it.  I'm not sure if you can upload an address locator to ArcGIS Online or not.  It doesn't seem to give me an option to load a local geocoder.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help. I am using the Esri World Geocoder. I'm not too familiar with ArcGIS so I'm not sure how I'd go about building my own locator service. I work for a non-profit and we received the ArcGIS Desktop software so I imagine that ArcGIS Server is included in that package.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would doubt that you would have received ArcGIS for Server software as that is much more expensive software and is designed to build web-based services.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

What you could do is create the point file on your desktop version of the software and upload that information to be used on ArcGIS Online.

-Steven

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into that.

0 Kudos
JeffWard

How widespread are your addresses?  Are they localized to a single city or county?  You could ask them if they could geocode your addresses for you.  The locators they have would be way more accurate than Esri's world locator.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In total it will be over 800 points across 27 counties. And I'll need to update the mapped points every so often.

0 Kudos