Deleted feature in hosted AGOL feature layer is still drawing

Jump to solution
06-21-2021 10:31 AM
Labels (2)
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using an AGOL hosted feature layer created by another agency.

The other agency added a polygon feature, then later deleted it.  I'm seeing odd behavior where the "deleted feature" is still showing up in the AGOL web map viewer ONLY AT CERTAIN SCALES and I can even click on the feature and get a popup.  But if I look at the feature layer's Item Details, DATA tab, the "deleted feature" is truly gone.  We are getting similar weird behavior with this layer (the deleted feature still showing up at certain scales) in our own in-house javascript API map viewer.  The only thing I can think is that this is some caching issue with the AGOL-hosted feature layer.  

What is the best way to deal with this inconsistent behavior?  Refreshing the browser (F5) does not help.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any clues why it's happening, I'm more curious. I have never been able to figure out why this happens.

We've actually gotten rid of our editable / read-only view setups. Since we're a small org and all three staff members are admins, we can open any layer in Pro to edit them, regardless of settings. That probably doesn't help you, though.

I have read in similar posts that people can flush out these weird issues by toggling the sync setting on and off, or by toggling editor tracking on and off. Still not sure why this would solve the problem, but it is something that could be scripted.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are others also experiencing the same issue?

Delete the Browser cache and cookies, or use a different browser (or incognito mode).

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Some others do see this same behavior.

• I opened Edge, which I rarely use, and deleted the browser cache.
  • Opened an InPrivate window.
  • Logged in to AGOL.
  • Opened the Group that has access to this layer.
  • Opened the web map in Map Viewer Classic. 
  • The "Deleted Feature" shows up when zoomed to large scales (zoomed in), but DOES NOT show up in the attribute table. 
  • Other features show at all scales and EXIST in attribute table.
Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you working with a view layer of some kind? And is editor tracking enabled?

I have seen similar behavior with editor-tracking enabled hosted layers with views, where the view seems to somehow "hang onto" deleted features, or their attributes / geometry from before an edit.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Josh,

Yes, there is a View Layer that was created from the hosted feature layer and I am pretty sure that editor tracking is enabled. 

I am seeing the problem with the original hosted feature layer, not the derivative View Layer.  The View Layer behaves properly.

What seems so odd is that this one deleted feature is only displaying at certain scales, while all the other features display at all scales.

@NDFAdmin  

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Strange! And which of the two has editing enabled? Is there any special definition on the view?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

The AGOL-hosted feature layer is editable. 

The View Layer is read only.  Nothing special about the View Layer.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't have any clues why it's happening, I'm more curious. I have never been able to figure out why this happens.

We've actually gotten rid of our editable / read-only view setups. Since we're a small org and all three staff members are admins, we can open any layer in Pro to edit them, regardless of settings. That probably doesn't help you, though.

I have read in similar posts that people can flush out these weird issues by toggling the sync setting on and off, or by toggling editor tracking on and off. Still not sure why this would solve the problem, but it is something that could be scripted.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

We toggled the Sync option and that “deleted” feature appears to be totally gone now.

That was supremely weird.  I was about to the point of believing it was some extremely stubborn client-side caching, although I’d cleared cache as thoroughly as possible and that didn’t help. 

Guess we'll just keep an eye out for this kind of "mis-behavior".

Thanks Josh.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome! Hopefully on one of these threads, we can get some Esri staff input as to the deeper "why", not just the workaround.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos