Custom Widget

Jump to solution
01-30-2022 05:44 PM
elitesniper
New Contributor

Hello

Looking for detailed information for developing and how to deploy custom widgets using Arcgis Online?Are there any additional components other than Arcgis Online required to deploy/host  the custom widget?

thank you 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
8 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, you can't deploy custom widgets in ArcGIS Online because the service is hosted by Esri. (it would be a security concern if they let people start inserting their own code into applications).

If you need customization in your widgets beyond what the WYSIWYG interface, you will need to look into deploying ArcGIS Enterprise. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Additionally, here's an Esri post to get you started and give you some preliminary info on Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition. This was just the first one I found, it's a bit old but just a minute with Dr. Google should be able to help out with the rest. 😉

https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcwatch/add-custom-widgets-to-web-appbuilder-for-arcgis-develop...

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
elitesniper
New Contributor

Thank you Katherine.

There are several hosted services (sass/paas)   that  allow to integrate own custom code within application in a hosted services environments at the same providing security controls at various layers. Such  hosting services are  usually single tenanted. Am I correct to say that since Arcgis Online is a “multi-tenant” service in which  the application is shared component and hence running the custom code as part of the application. Trying to understand if this is a constraint to be managed with Arcgis Online platform? Insorry I am trying to understand our case  switching  to Enterprise platform has significant implications  on overall solution, cost etc.

Does Esri offers Arcgis Online  as a single tenanted solution which then allows running of custom widget in ‘as a service’ environment? Or investing in Enterprise is the only option?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh gosh, I wish I could help more....but we've reached the limit of my knowledge on the subject, unfortunately. 😞

Hopefully someone else here can offer some advice? @RobertScheitlin__GISP 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@elitesniper 

as @Katie_Clark has already mentioned there is no option that allows using custom widgets with AGOL. You will have to get ArcGIS Enterprise or use WAB Developer edition to add custom widgets to a WAB application and then deploy this WAB Apps to your own web server or a hosting service. If you have an existing WAB app that you are working with on AGOL that app can be imported to WAB Developer edition to be further customized and then deployed. In case you ask, customized apps from WAB Dev can not be imported to AGOL.

elitesniper
New Contributor

Thank you Katherine and Robert.

and then deploy this WAB Apps to your own web server or a hosting service.

can you please share link for more information or examples  of this deployment using web server or hosting service? Keen to understand how to integrate AGOL, web server/hosting service (with custom widget), how to secure integration AGOL and web server/hosting service.

0 Kudos
elitesniper
New Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos