Select to view content in your preferred language

CSV Layer from Web - not valid for Instant App Nearby?

12-05-2022 03:35 AM
Labels (1)
richlds
Emerging Contributor

Hi,

Is it expected behaviour that a layer created from a CSV located on the web cannot be used in the Instant App Nearby results?

A layer with the same CSV loaded from a file works OK.

They both display on the Instant App map.

Currently evaluating technologies for using Google Sheets to manage data source (protection & data partitioning), published as CSV then displayed via a mapping tool.

Cheers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I experimented a bit an am unable to reproduce an error or see any issues. I used both a CSV referenced via URL from the USGS Earthquake site, and also a Google Sheet which was published as a hosted feature layer directly from Google Drive. In both cases everything worked just fine in Nearby and other Instant Apps. I'm using ArcGIS Online (not Enterprise).

If you continue to have issues I'd suggest opening a support ticket to resolve it.

richlds
Emerging Contributor

Most appreciated my friend - that gives me some hope.

I just retried from fresh using USGS Earthquake and for me, Web addressed CSV are still not valid layers for Nearby results whilst identical File sourced CSV layers are.  Therefore likely related to my environment/account in some way.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I did another test this morning. I did so many iterations on things yesterday that I likely got things confused. Mea culpa, you are correct, I am unable to use Nearby successfully with URL-based CSV sources. Of course if that is published as a hosted feature layer then everything works fine, but that's not the point for a dynamic CSV source. I'm guessing it's a current limitation, the message you see while configuring is the key - the URL-based CSV is not recognized as a valid layer. 

BernSzukalski_0-1670350717862.png

I'm adding this to the team's devtopia queue, but would still recommend you connect with support to report it also.

richlds
Emerging Contributor

😁No problem.  I have raised with support so will keep this thread open until I can write where things ended.

Once trying to publish the app, I have now noticed it highlights the URL-based CSV is a premium feature and can completely understand the Nearby behaviour requiring different handling (I imagine various datasourcing/caching differences for web CSV).

I'm only evaluating/costing approaches at this stage, but the workflow of Google Sheets through to filterable & printable ArcGIS maps would be really simple/useful/cost-effective in the 3rd sector social prescribing land as a starting point.

0 Kudos