Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating content in ArcGIS Online and editing in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-02-2024 01:20 PM
Labels (1)
MtnRunner
New Contributor II

I've been taking some online training with ESRI for the last few weeks and am a beginner with ArcGIS. I've created a map with numerous layers that I've imported from CSV files, and created through sketches. I'd like to work with this map and develop it further in ArcGIS Pro. When I select the web map in ArcGIS Online on the Content tab, and Open it in ArcGIS Pro I don't have full control to edit and continue to add to it. 

I have been trying to export the project to my local system, but I can't see how that is done. There is no way to save locally as a project, and I don't see an option to share it as a project file.

My account is a subscription-based "student" account if that matters. Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GeeteshSingh07
Occasional Contributor II

@MtnRunner, In addition to what Christopher suggested, you can also perform editing this way:

In ArcGIS Pro, sign-in with your ArcGIS Online account.

In ArcGIS Pro, open Catalog Pane >> Click Portal >> Add your feature layer (hosted) or web map.

GeeteshSingh07_0-1709448351586.png

Perform editing and save the changes. 

When saved feature/attribute editing will directly reflect in your ArcGIS Online.

If you need to export data locally, you can add your feature services to map, use "Export Feature" gp tool to save the data locally....You also have the option to 'Publish the layer to ArcGIS Online" or "Overwrite existing layers" in ArcGIS Online through ArcGIS Pro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

'Edit' can mean adding/updating features, or applying updates to a map. It sounds like you want to update the map.

There are requirements and additional steps to set up a web map for work in ArcGIS Pro, outlined here:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/save-a-web-map.htm

Personally I'd open a web map in ArcGIS Pro to do feature editing or publishing of new services, but would otherwise keep the map authoring separate - Pro for file exporting, Map Viewer for web maps. 

0 Kudos
MtnRunner
New Contributor II

Thank you, this link to the doc is helpful.

0 Kudos
GeeteshSingh07
Occasional Contributor II

@MtnRunner, In addition to what Christopher suggested, you can also perform editing this way:

In ArcGIS Pro, sign-in with your ArcGIS Online account.

In ArcGIS Pro, open Catalog Pane >> Click Portal >> Add your feature layer (hosted) or web map.

GeeteshSingh07_0-1709448351586.png

Perform editing and save the changes. 

When saved feature/attribute editing will directly reflect in your ArcGIS Online.

If you need to export data locally, you can add your feature services to map, use "Export Feature" gp tool to save the data locally....You also have the option to 'Publish the layer to ArcGIS Online" or "Overwrite existing layers" in ArcGIS Online through ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
MtnRunner
New Contributor II

Thank you, this was helpful. It should have been obvious to me but I'm seeing that ArcGIS has so many features and ways of operating, that it's still overwhelming as I'm skilling up.

0 Kudos