Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating Buffers from Addresses in ArcGIS Online Not Working

Jump to solution
12-09-2015 03:18 PM
DianaLavery
New Contributor

Hello,

I've had patchy success with performing analysis (such as creating buffers) in ArcGIS Online based on addresses.  There are 9 addresses that I need to create buffers from, and 7 worked perfectly fine.  The other two always return the following error:

"The result of your analysis did not return any features. No layer will be created."

I've tried saving the layer first, I've tried searching using the 9 digit zip code, I've tried spelling out the addresses multiple ways (e.g. PKWY vs. Parkway), and I've even tried searching for the name of the establishment instead (e.g. San Francisco State).  Nothing I do enables me to create a buffer the way I did for the 7 other addresses.  The two problem addresses always come up with a match in the search, so it's not that the center of the buffer isn't found.  I'm making sure that all the options and boxes checked are the same as the other times I've successfully performed this analysis.  I don't know what else could be the problem.  Any ideas?

FYI, the two problem addresses are:

Cal State San Bernardino: 5500 University Pkwy, San Bernardino, CA 92407

San Francisco State: 1600 Holloway Ave, San Francisco, CA 94132

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Weird error...it doesn't like the Title for some reason.  Change the default Title which is the full address to something shorter and then re-run the buffer.  This fixed the issue for me.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

How are you point features stored?  A screen shot can really do wonders when trying to help troubleshoot a problem such as this...

0 Kudos
DianaLavery
New Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Here's SF State vs. SD State (a successful one):

SF State.jpg

SD State.jpg

Both addresses were pasted in the search bar that says "find an address or place" then added as a Map Note, changed the name of the layer in the Table of Contents, and saved the layer.  The "Save Layer" option is now grayed out (disabled) for both SF and SD.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Weird error...it doesn't like the Title for some reason.  Change the default Title which is the full address to something shorter and then re-run the buffer.  This fixed the issue for me.

DianaLavery
New Contributor

Wow!  Thank you so much Kyle!  It worked!!!

I never would have even thought of checking for a bug like that!

San Francisco and San Bernardino were the two cities on my list with the longest names, I wonder if there's a limit as to the number of characters a city name can have in the "create buffer" processing.  For the record, Los Angeles (third longest city name on my list) worked fine.

You're the best!  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Not sure if it is the length of the city name or overall length of the title...happy you have it working!

0 Kudos