Select to view content in your preferred language

Create a "Built-In" AGOL User

Jump to solution
12-12-2023 12:47 PM
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you no longer create a "Built-In" like user account in AGOL?  I do not see an option in AGOL as there is in Portal.

We have multiple devices for which we have created an account for each on AGOL and set up the Username and Password without an email address.  Interns often use these to collect data who do not have a company email address and may not always grab the same iPad daily.  We just received a few more devices, and I went to create additional accounts; however, it does not appear you can create a "Built-In" account any longer in AGOL, and each account must have a unique email address.  

Am I missing something?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I ended up putting a ticket in with ESRI Support, and they confirmed I was not losing my marbles, at least this time.  You can no longer create "Built-In" accounts on AGOL, which is still supported on the Enterprise Portal.  Unfortunately, we do not publicly expose our Portal and only utilize AGOL when not connected to our network.  The numerous Built-In accounts I deleted from AGOL to replace with a new batch of mobile devices cannot be recreated or restored.  However, you can create multiple accounts now, all with the same email address, which is what we ended up doing.  After doing so, we found that the password set by the administrator had to be reset on each device after connecting the first time.  Built-in accounts were so much simpler to manage, especially since we do not provide the AGOL username and password to the volunteer or intern using the mobile devices.  We only provide a pin to the device.

I still have 15-20 Built-In accounts on AGOL and I am not deleting those until required by ESRI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I ended up putting a ticket in with ESRI Support, and they confirmed I was not losing my marbles, at least this time.  You can no longer create "Built-In" accounts on AGOL, which is still supported on the Enterprise Portal.  Unfortunately, we do not publicly expose our Portal and only utilize AGOL when not connected to our network.  The numerous Built-In accounts I deleted from AGOL to replace with a new batch of mobile devices cannot be recreated or restored.  However, you can create multiple accounts now, all with the same email address, which is what we ended up doing.  After doing so, we found that the password set by the administrator had to be reset on each device after connecting the first time.  Built-in accounts were so much simpler to manage, especially since we do not provide the AGOL username and password to the volunteer or intern using the mobile devices.  We only provide a pin to the device.

I still have 15-20 Built-In accounts on AGOL and I am not deleting those until required by ESRI.

0 Kudos