Clusters of nonsense: using two attributes in size and color cluster symbology

Jump to solution
02-28-2022 10:29 AM
EmmaHatcher
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to use cluster mapping in the new Map Viewer to aggregate points and vary size using the sum of fish caught and shade using the sum of fish harvested. Based on the legend configuration, it seems that this ought to be possible that I have it basically set up, but the actual map doesn't reflect the legend.

EmmaHatcher_0-1646072474650.png

Furthermore, the aggregate point number labels do not reflect anything in the data that I can discern. For example, I clicked a cluster that is labeled with 3.5. There are 8 aggregated records in this cluster, and though the pop-up table is half-obscured in the picture below, there are a total of 28 fish caught and 20 fish harvested across three different fishing areas (referenced by the pie chart). Not sure where 3.5 is coming from.

EmmaHatcher_1-1646072670946.png

Is this a bug? Has anyone else run into something similar, where the legend reflects the cluster configuration you're looking for yet the map is outputting nonsense? It is, as they say, a bit of a cluster.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks.

So a few things - because you are using a size renderer the size range the cluster size range is disabled so I bumped up that size range in the styles panel, disabled adjust size automatically, and used the zoom button on the data histogram to see that majority of the data exists under 60 catches.

RussellRoberts1_0-1646076034372.png

Next I went to the cluster panel and went to the labels option

RussellRoberts1_1-1646076141827.png

and switched from Average catch value to the Count of features within the cluster

RussellRoberts1_2-1646076198421.png

LMK if this helped answer a couple of questions you had or if there was anything further you were having issues with.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map and I can help take a look.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks.

So a few things - because you are using a size renderer the size range the cluster size range is disabled so I bumped up that size range in the styles panel, disabled adjust size automatically, and used the zoom button on the data histogram to see that majority of the data exists under 60 catches.

RussellRoberts1_0-1646076034372.png

Next I went to the cluster panel and went to the labels option

RussellRoberts1_1-1646076141827.png

and switched from Average catch value to the Count of features within the cluster

RussellRoberts1_2-1646076198421.png

LMK if this helped answer a couple of questions you had or if there was anything further you were having issues with.

0 Kudos
EmmaHatcher
Occasional Contributor

That did it! Thank you for the guidance. Would be great if similar to other symbology defaults, scales matched distribution of data. That's great to know that Map Viewer cluster symbology doesn't do that automatically.

0 Kudos