Choosing conceptualization of spatial relationships

08-14-2016 11:39 PM
MathewStewart
New Contributor

New to ArcGIS.... I have data points, each represent a fossil find from a single trench in 2-dimension. I want to perform a Morans I (or something similar) to determine if there is any clustering/dispersal. Some of the features Id like to analyse could include Taxa, bone weight, bone length, etc. 

I am not sure which conceptualization of spatial relationships would be most appropriate for such an analysis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Stewie

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The mechanics of the test are here

How Spatial Autocorrelation (Global Moran's I) works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

the conceptualization

Modeling spatial relationships—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

requires you have some sense about the possible origins of the pattern, and the type of data (points, areas etc).

Since you should have some sense about what is going on in terms of the fossil locations, then the choice is yours.  Do you feel that the finds are in someway clustered in space or purely random?  If looking at distance, would it be inverse distance, or simple distance.

Basically... you can run the test more than once, using different scenarios... the task then becomes yours to interpret any findings in terms of the conceptualization.  My guess (purely random) is that you would get clusters of fossils representing some unknown process (maybe cluster and die).  This is counter to another process where the spatial pattern is purely random.  Report back as to what you found and discuss it with respect to your 'hunch' about what went on.