Changing the name of a service created from Survey123 Form

Jump to solution
07-29-2021 11:12 AM
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I have a question about changing Service names in AGOL. I created a Hosted Feature Layer from a Survey123 form in Survey123Connect, and while the Hosted Layer has the appropriate name, the service as seen through the ArcGIS REST Directory has a generated name of service_[bunch of numbers/characters] (FeatureServer).

I'm inquiring whether there is a way to change that service name either through the REST API or other methods. Having the service name be consistent with the Hosted Feature Layer would really help for internal organization - and not losing track of which service provides for which Hosted Feature layer.

I tried updating the "name" : field via the Update Service Definition in the Rest API, but it didn't seem to take. Would it be possible to overwrite the service from ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro with a different name? Or is this just a function of generating Feature Layers from Surveys that there's no way to get around?

Thanks!

Henry
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know, there's not an easy way around it, but if you don't need to deal with the service URL directly, it shouldn't affect too much.

If you really wanted to change it, you could:

1. Download the data from the service
  2. Republish using the desired name
  3. Use Survey123 Connect to create a new survey from an existing feature service
  4. Point it to the "new name" layer
  5. Configure the survey identically to your old survey
  6. Delete previous layer and replace any references to the old form URL to the new one
- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know, there's not an easy way around it, but if you don't need to deal with the service URL directly, it shouldn't affect too much.

If you really wanted to change it, you could:

1. Download the data from the service
  2. Republish using the desired name
  3. Use Survey123 Connect to create a new survey from an existing feature service
  4. Point it to the "new name" layer
  5. Configure the survey identically to your old survey
  6. Delete previous layer and replace any references to the old form URL to the new one
- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hmm yeah, that makes sense. In the past I've matched Surveys in Survey123 to established services that I have named the way I want and just pointed it to the service URL. What you describe sounds like a similar workflow from a Survey-published service first. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Henry
0 Kudos