Change to ESRI Tiled Basemaps, Access from Enterprise?

11-13-2020 07:13 PM
danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

Has there been changes to ESRI hosted tiled basemaps this week? We're running Enterprise 10.8.1 and this week started having issues getting ESRI tiled basemaps to download as offline areas in Collector. All we get is an error "failed to download offline area". No errors in Server Manager log.

I changed my password in AGOL to make sure it was long enough, it was "grandfathered" and only 6 characters long. I then copied this URL from a tiled basemap: https://tiledbasemaps.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer

In Enterprise Portal 10.8.1 I Add Item from URL, enter that basemap URL, then store credentials. I then add that layer now listed as an item in Portal to a new blank map, set as basemap and share with Basemap group. The basemap then shows up in the Basemap gallery, just like the documentation here:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/take-maps-offline.htm

When on Wifi we can download a webmap in Collector that uses the above basemap, no problem. But when on a cellular connection or Wifi network that is distant from our Enterprise deployment we get the error "failed to download offline area".

Here's where it gets interesting. If we open that same webmap, then Add/Layer from Web and enter the basemap URL, and set as basemap, then try to download in Collector we are prompted for AGOL credentials. We enter the AGOL credentials and the download proceeds without issue regardless of cell or wifi network.

What could have changed in the last week? Are stored credentials expiring or not working correctly when high latency connections are used?

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We've seen similar issues with basemaps, and are on 10.8.1 as well. A couple months back, there was an announcement about raster basemaps moving to mature support. Perhaps there is some behind-the-scenes stuff that would impact functionality related to that?

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/announcements/esris-hosted-raster-basemap-se...

Does the issue persist if you try using the vector basemaps?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
danbecker

Long story longer, about 3 weeks ago we switched to Sophos XG firewalls and there seems to be an issue with them. This morning, I pulled the XG Firewall and re-installed of pfSense firewall and the problem went away re: downloading maps over high latency connections.

But, that doesn't fully explain the problem because in the last few weeks with the XG firewall installed, we were NOT having issues downloading raster basemaps.

My opinion is that some type of timeout settings have been changed on the tiled basemap service that craps out slower connections. With our pfSense router (2x as fast compared to XG) that latency issue is minimized and the download from the tiled map service doesn't timeout.

danbecker

ESRI-

• How are ESRI hosted basemaps delivered when a client downloads them in Collector?
  • Is our on premise ArcGIS Enterprise deployment used as a proxy to the ESRI hosted tiled basemaps?
  • I'm assuming all connections are using TCP?

This info. will help me troubleshoot why slower connections are "timing out" on our XG firewall.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart

@jcarlson  We have been experiencing the exact same behavior as @danbecker 

So far using the vector basemaps is fine. [Except for the fact that the symbology changes when you use these services as a basemap effectively removing any contour/hillshade/topographic representation, so it's a huge step backwards].

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart

@danbecker 

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am in the exact same situation!!

0 Kudos