Cant display legend of published Map Service in ArcGIS Explorer Online

11-17-2010 12:01 AM
FalkoMartin
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to display the legend of a published map service in ArcGIS Explorer Online. The published Map Doc contains lots of Feature Layers with signatures. I published it enabling Mapping and KML.
When I hit the Legend button, I always get the message "No Legend Information available"

Thanks in advance...!

Falko
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you provide the URL to the REST endpoint of your map service so that we can take a look? Alternatively, if you have a web map that you've made in ArcGIS.com that you can share publicly, we can get the URL from that too.

One idea that may be the problem is: if your GIS server is not public (e.g., behind a firewall), ArcGIS.com won't be able to generate legends for any services. This is because the utility that generates the legend requires access to the map service. You will be able to view the map service display in the ArcGIS.com map viewer because you're browser is running inside your firewall, and thus can see it. The browser views the service directly and doesn't go through ArcGIS.com.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
FalkoMartin
New Contributor II

One idea that may be the problem is: if your GIS server is not public (e.g., behind a firewall), ArcGIS.com won't be able to generate legends for any services. This is because the utility that generates the legend requires access to the map service. You will be able to view the map service display in the ArcGIS.com map viewer because you're browser is running inside your firewall, and thus can see it. The browser views the service directly and doesn't go through ArcGIS.com.

Hey Mike,

thanks for your reply. I think the firewall is the issue - I published the service via an ArcGIS Server on my local machine, which is behind a firewall. For this reason I can't send you the respective REST URL of the service. Well - knowing that it won't work this way is also an important information!
Thanks for your help,
Falko
0 Kudos