Cannot upload shapefiles or open shapefiles in a map in ArcGIS Online

05-21-2014 10:31 AM
KrisMoore
New Contributor
Is anyone else having problems with uploading or opening shapefiles in ArcGIS Online???
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor
I'm not having any issues. Your shapefiles are compressed, right?
0 Kudos
RaymondHuang
Occasional Contributor
You might be facing one of these limitations:

Compression formats other than a .zip archive are not supported. Make sure you are using .zip, not .rar or others.
Files containing more than 1,000 features(records) cannot be added to a map.
The following features are not supported: multipatch or multipoint geometries, geometries that cross the dateline, or self-intersections in polygons. Shapefiles with these features cannot be added to a map.
If you are trying to drag your Shapefiles in like in ArcGIS Explorer Online, no it cannot be dragged directly onto the ArcGIS.com map viewer; you must use the Add button in the map viewer.

Let us know what was the cause. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Raymond
0 Kudos
MattKennedy
Esri Contributor
kmooregis,

How are you uploading the shapefile to ArcGIS Online?  If you are in a map and clicking 'Add' > 'Add layer from file' then you will have the limitations (1,000 feature max, etc...) that others have mentioned.  To avoid these limitations, upload your shapefile to ArcGIS Online as a feature service.  Here's how:

1. Go to 'My Content'.
2. Click 'Add Item'.
3. Click 'Choose File' and browse to your zipped shapefile.
4. Check the box that says 'Publish this file as a feature layer'.
5. Set the title and tags as you wish.
6. Click 'Add Item'.

The above procedure will create a hosted feature service from your shapefile, which you can now use in any map you want.  On the other hand, adding a shapefile directly to a map only makes that layer usable in that one map, and it throws limitations at you.  Always upload data to your 'My Content' area of your subscription.  It's a much better way to get things done.

Good luck,

Matt
0 Kudos
BimallNaidoo1
New Contributor II

Hi

I followed this workflow successfully with a few large datasets and have now experienced the same problem with a dataset that has 69 000 features. Is there a size/feature limit that can be uploaded?

Thanks

Bimall

0 Kudos
SteveWashburn
New Contributor
I have added a kmz track file via add to my content but I don't get the "publish this..." check box and when I go to a map all that is shown are the start and end points.

What am I doing wrong?

Steve
0 Kudos
TonyPistilli__GISP
New Contributor II
kmooregis,

How are you uploading the shapefile to ArcGIS Online?  If you are in a map and clicking 'Add' > 'Add layer from file' then you will have the limitations (1,000 feature max, etc...) that others have mentioned.  To avoid these limitations, upload your shapefile to ArcGIS Online as a feature service.  Here's how:

1. Go to 'My Content'.
2. Click 'Add Item'.
3. Click 'Choose File' and browse to your zipped shapefile.
4. Check the box that says 'Publish this file as a feature layer'.
5. Set the title and tags as you wish.
6. Click 'Add Item'.

The above procedure will create a hosted feature service from your shapefile, which you can now use in any map you want.  On the other hand, adding a shapefile directly to a map only makes that layer usable in that one map, and it throws limitations at you.  Always upload data to your 'My Content' area of your subscription.  It's a much better way to get things done.

Good luck,

Matt

I am having the same problem! Very frustrating.  I have uploaded parcels in excess of 1000 features in the past using the above method with no problems in the past. Now, since upgrading to 10.2.1 I can no longer do this.  Can someone from ESRI help out here? Thanks
0 Kudos