Cannot see feature layer from Online in ArcGIS Desktop

06-23-2015 06:01 AM
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

We have AGOL for Organizations. When I am in item details and I choose the option to open a feature layer in ArcGIS for Desktop it appears to work (goes through file handler), but nothing shows up in ArcMap.  I then tried another workflow, to start from Desktop, add the layer from ArcGIS Online. I can find the item and click "Add" but again nothing shows up.  There is no error, just nothing to see.

I know this has worked fine in the past. I have tried a few layers to ensure that it wasn't something with that particular layer.  In case it matters, we are now using Enterprise logins, but I have tried this using my AD account and a non AD admin account with the same result.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

When you say nothing shows up, do you mean in your map, or the Table of Contents, or both?

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

Both

0 Kudos
CoryMacNeil1
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried opening a blank MXD, go under File and sign into ArcGIS Online there first?  If I go to and try to add an ArcGIS Online feature layer it will open up an empty MXD but it does not log me in and I get a blank screen.  However, if I login in an empty MXD it will then become added.  It will also remember my login until I sign out.  So if I close the map document and then try and add from AGOL it will open a new blank MXD that I am signed into.

I hope this helps.

Cory

0 Kudos
KendellRyan
Occasional Contributor

SoI did try signing into ArcGIS Online within ArcGIS Desktop first and then opening the layer.  Then I tried waiting until after I "opened" the layer to sign in.  But it still has the same result. Nothing appears in the map or TOC.

For testing purposes I did however just go in and share the item with "Everyone" and that worked. That doesn't solve the issue since most of our layers are not shared that way.  Is there some kind of a rule (or bug) that you can only add layers to Desktop if they are shared with everyone?

0 Kudos