Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you create a domain after data is already published to ArcGIS Online?

10-09-2017 01:47 PM
MichaelBaggett
New Contributor II

I have a large dataset that is published and being used with the collector app in the field.  I needed to add a field to the data which I was able to add on-line.  Now I need the new field to have a domain, but I can't figure out how to do this on-line and I can't bring the off-line because it is being used in the field every day right now.  Can I create a domain from ArcGIS Online?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

It looks like you can use the "Solutions Deployment Tool" add-in for Pro. I was able to use the "Configure an ArcGIS Solution" option to add a domain to a field where one did not exist.

I'd be curious to find out if there is another way to do it (other than editing the JSON).

CarlHolt1

Can the domain tag be added using the JSON approach, as shown in this document?

0 Kudos
BrianFausel

I haven't tried creating domains through the JSON approach myself, only with the Pro Solutions Deployment Tool. I have modified existing domains via JSON and that worked, so I'm guessing you could add the domain tag if you are *real careful* when entering the code.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Brian,

If you login to developers.arcgis.com with your username and password there is functionality to add domains to new fields through this interface. This is just a different way of accessing your ArcGIS Online data.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
CarlHolt1

I need to add domains to existing fields that currently do not have domains. Can I accomplish this via the developers.arcgis.com/dashboard? Can I use JSON route to create domains?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can use the update definition route to add domains to existing fields the developers tool only works for new fields. As you will need to manually edit the JSON for an existing service, I suggest testing this on some dummy data before testing on production data as there isn't a code validator using this method.

-Kelly